Two questions, ignition related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions, ignition related

What's the minimum electrical I need to see if the engine will fire? I don't want to run it, I just want to hear it bark. Also, my ballast resistor is shot, literally fell apart and the local dealer said they're showing it discontinued so who has them?
    Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
    Early 70s Honda 90 Enduro
    1998 Honda Shadow ACE
    2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Dogs understand why people ride motorcycles

Requires 10.5 minimum at the tci to send a spark. Gonna have to fond a used resistor or change to 3 ohm coils. If you are just burning the starter and killing it you can go without the resistor but it will burn the coils or tci out if you run without the resistor for long.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

As Nate said, you can bypass the resistor by just connecting the wires on the harness side together to be able to have it run for a few minutes. The TCI actually bypasses the resistor during the startup phase, but once it's running, it routes thru the resistor, so the bike might "bark" for a second, but would not keep running otherwise.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ok, that's what I thought. But to rephrase the initial question, what is the absolute necessary electrical components I need to make this thing fire up? I'm sure the TCI but what else? I can jump the switch since mine's bad. I have the harness and engine out of the frame, that's why I'm asking.
        Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
        1998 Honda Shadow ACE
        2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Comment

hi jim, basically pos power 2 the solenoid and coils, which should also power the tci, and the neg 2 the ground on the engine, the wires 2 the pic up coils need 2 b connected as well, the only thing im not sure about are the wires from the stator i think if u leave them disconnected u should b ok, to start the engine use a screw driver across the solenoid.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
            and the local dealer said they're showing it discontinued so who has them?
            I use one of these on one of my XS's. Click link below. I know it's a UK shop but there must be an equivalent in the US.

http://www.classicpartsworld.co.uk/b...sistor_1_6_ohm

Comment

i have a ballast resistor if needed
              careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Thanks, I will let you know. I have a new one for an old Chrysler around here somewhere. If I can find it, I'll measure the resistance and see if I can use that.
                Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
                1998 Honda Shadow ACE
                2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Comment

Going from memory, the components you need to make a spark are:

Pick up coils (should still be under the left engine cover unless you took them out)
                  TCI,
                  Ignition coils, wires, and caps,
                  spark plugs,

You'll have to check the wiring diagram to see what other signals you'll have to fake to the TCI from the ignition and kill switch.

As already mentioned, you'll need 10.5 volts while cranking.

If you don't get any spark, the first thing I'd check is the pick up coil wires to see if they're broken. Give them a tug to see if they stretch... they'll only stretch if the conductor is broken.

Good luck!
                  '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Well I have spark, just no fire. I misted some gas in the carb mounts while I was cranking the engine, just no bark. The spark was white and I'm using a booster to crank it and I think it might have been low on juice so I'm charging it up right now.

Hm. I'm getting close!
                    Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
                    1998 Honda Shadow ACE
                    2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Comment

Working...
                    X