ATF in Final Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF in Final Drive?

I got around to changing the FD oil because the PO had just changed it a couple years ago - it looks like he had ATF in it - its thicker or seems thicker than ATF but it is RED and smells like ATF -

Two questions - is there a gear oil brand that's red?

It looked clean and not burned or discolored - in absence of long trips or prolonged high speeds this should still be OK right?

Checked middle drive and it looked to be gear oil.
    I refilled both with Valvoline 85/140 gear oil.

Thanks
    John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

PME Gear oil is red, that is probably what it is. That's what we used to use in the quick change rear end in the sprint car.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

ATF is actually ok in most gearboxes in terms of load carrying (nearly all modern late-model manual trans now use it rather than conventional gear oil); some automotive racers have been using it for years in older four-speeds. The main problem is the seals used in boxes designed for gear lube have a hard time sealing against the thinner ATF and will usually leak, sometimes rather badly.

I'm not recommending that you put ATF in the final or middle drives, but if it had been in there, it shouldn't have hurt anything...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Greg

I can hold onto that for piece of mind - maybe that was it...

I am riding in a few minutes for Houston - probably gonna be going fast and long and so I wanted to change the fluids before the trip -its been darn hot - not as hot as there in OK but still darn hot.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

beat me to it Greg............It all ought to be fine John...............BTW, not necessarily true Steve as it is not an EP lubricant........middle drive, maybe............final drive, not happening, least not for long...........
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Steve

I suspect it was gear oil of some sort because it was so viscous.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
              I got around to changing the FD oil because the PO had just changed it a couple years ago - it looks like he had ATF in it - its thicker or seems thicker than ATF but it is RED and smells like ATF -

Two questions - is there a gear oil brand that's red?

It looked clean and not burned or discolored - in absence of long trips or prolonged high speeds this should still be OK right?

Checked middle drive and it looked to be gear oil.
              I refilled both with Valvoline 85/140 gear oil.

Thanks
              John

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=4

Comment

Working...
              X