Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball XJ exhaust...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...mZ110728215151

Note that this is one piece on the outside pipes (like all OEM XS exhausts), not with separate mufflers like the parts fiche shows... and doesn't appear altered.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Looks like a stock XJ set-up to me. There is a band clamp where the muffler joins the header, not easy to see but is there on the top 2-into-1 set. The XJ mufflers are shorter than others, before the rear axle bolt, and featured the "slash" style as pictured.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Looks to be in decent shape...........and very hard to find............could go for high numbers....
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Looks to be in decent shape...........and very hard to find............could go for high numbers....
        That's why it's a deal... it's on a 'buy it now' for $40....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Man that was too good to resist... Thanks Steve
          1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
          2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

I figured some body would want to jump on this... Even with shipping, that's still a very good price for a decent OEM exhaust!

'82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              I figured some body would want to jump on this... Even with shipping, that's still a very good price for a decent OEM exhaust!
              In '07 my OEM XJ exhaust headers were totally rusted thru and i tossed them for aftermarket stuff. First it was a MAC...then a Jardine 4to1 with the oval can...then i found a Kerker which is currently on the Max. I plan to restore and rechrome this XJ exhaust or have it ceramically coated. I have options...
              Last edited by xsroadrunner; 08-11-2011, 06:01 PM.
              1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
              2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

I have options...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Only one Ben...............get those bad boys re-done and on that XJ!........a little re-tuning and the XJ may take a front seat again...........for a bit(I know, the ST is hard to just walk by without riding)
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have options...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Only one Ben...............get those bad boys re-done and on that XJ!........a little re-tuning and the XJ may take a front seat again...........for a bit(I know, the ST is hard to just walk by without riding)
                  Do ya think the Stock set up is better than the kerker for performance? I do love the sound of the Kerker
                  1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                  2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Kerkers rule Ben, for sound and performance . Most people with the XJ exhausts try to make them louder it seems...

2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Seeing as I missed this one, I'm glad someone here got it. I'm still looking for a nice left exhaust for my XJ11, the one I have has dents on the top.

Congrats on a nice catch!
                      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        Kerkers rule Ben, for sound and performance . Most people with the XJ exhausts try to make them louder it seems...

Geez thats a buchered job...I think a pattern of drilled holes would look alot better. So if i'm looking to return the bike to OEM then this exhaust would be the way to go. I plan to have it all cleaned up and either rechromed or ceramically coated...prolly the latter as thats a more affordable option. I really like the Kerker and the bike is running as good as it has ever run...hard to mess with that. And ofc you're right sound and performance wise kerker's rule.
                        1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                        2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ben, the stock exhaust WILL give the bike better all-around performance. The scoot will be happier also. No holes in the ends of them either. Internally they have fairly sophisticated chambering and the holes will screw with the tuned flow that yammy designed into them.

Comment

Ben, the stock exhaust WILL give the bike better all-around performance. The scoot will be happier also. No holes in the ends of them either. Internally they have fairly sophisticated chambering and the holes will screw with the tuned flow that yammy designed into them.
                            Will I have to rejet the carbs?
                            1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                            2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ben, stock........112.5's all across, re-set idle mix, sync, fine-tune the idle mix and re-sync.......should be good to go. Don't know what you got for jetting now, but yea, you may be a bit rich if U uped them with the 4into1.

Comment

Working...
                              X