Broken nipple on petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken nipple on petcock

Hello all. This is my first time posting, I've been lurking on the forums for a year or two.

I have a XS1100SF and I'm in the process of replacing the fuel lines and removing the octy. While removing a line off one of the petcocks, the entire nipple came out with the line.

Whats the best way to put the nipple back into the petcock? Wrap it in some teflon tape and jam it back in? Superglue?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered before, I searched and didn't see anything.

Thanks dudes.
    ---------------
    XS1100SF daily rider
    XS1100F (parts/project bike)

Howdy,

I had the same thing happen to me, so I carefully cleaned the socket and stub tube with acetone, sanded the outside of the tube lightly, put a few scratches around the inside of the hole with an ice pick, cleaned both again with acetone, and glued it back in with JB Weld. Make sure that you do not get a wad of JB inside the tube. I placed it tube down for the curing cycle, so that any XS JB ran out the tube, and could be cleaned off later. None did, but then I've done a lot of epoxy work, and know how much is too much.
    No problems so far. CZ

Comment

Not a problem Nick. Those are just pressed in there and sometimes come out when your fooling with the lines. I have one that comes out once in a while also.

Just lightly but firmly, if that makes any sense, tap it back in with a small hammer and seat it good. Glue really isn't necessary.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks guys! First I'll try just tapping it back in. I'll keep an eye on it for leaks. If need be, I'll break out the JB weld.

Gotta finish cleaning my carbs first though.
        ---------------
        XS1100SF daily rider
        XS1100F (parts/project bike)

Comment

BA80 is correct (you have no idea how much it pains me to say that). Just clean the nipple and the socket with some pvc cleaner and tap it back in lightly with a SMALL hammer. It helps to have someone hold a block of wood or a larger hammer on the back of the petcock to absorb the excess energy and prevent any other damage.
          The Old Tamer
          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

You have a broken nipple on your pet what..???

Welcome aboard Nick. Over here we call them fuel taps (never could get my head around the whole pet cock concept) but those suggesting hammers are correct, but remember, as already pointed out, gentle tapping is the key to success.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
              Welcome aboard Nick. Over here we call them fuel taps (never could get my head around the whole pet cock concept) but those suggesting hammers are correct, but remember, as already pointed out, gentle tapping is the key to success.
              Yeah, every time I talk about needing to work on my petcocks my wife gets a giggling attack, as do my daughters. I have a feeling someone was trying to have a joke on us when they made that name for them, and it's still causing us trouble all these years later.

It's even worse when I complain about my petcock leaking, then the giggling really gets going.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
              X