Nice sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice sound

So on my way to work last night I got into the throttle in 5th and heard a loud bang as if I had thrown a rod. After that I hear a clicking sound and it doesnt want to stay in or even go above 5th any more. does anyone have an idea. I have a ride sunday and I want to go.

Not to be picky, but I assume you mean it will not go into 5th or stay there.

Does it run fine in all other gears still? Idles fine? Other than perhaps this clicking noise that is.

If you pull the shift cover on the left side and look at the shift drum it has a "cover" on it that holds in the pins that the shift pawl grabs to turn the drum and shift gears. From time to time, folks have had an issue of the pin that lets it shift into 5th gear falls out. If that happened to you, you might here the pin rattling around and getting tossed about in the engine until it hopefully fell into the oil pan without hurting anything. Look to see if it is indeed missing, and if it is, you may need to drop the tranny/oil pan to see if it is laying in there.

Now that would not necessarily explain the bang, unless it came out. got into the gears, and you heard it get tossed violently into the case?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Ive had that pin fall out already and I put it back in. The problem is 3rd. it will go in then after a little bit it will either pop out or sometimes not even go in. I did have a wineing sound for a while and now it seems to have gone away. i hope I didnt f the tranny up to bad.

Comment

So it idles fine, runs fine in neutral, will shift fine into 1st and 2nd, but will not or very difficult shift into 3rd, and will not go above 3rd?

Have you tried shifting with the engine off, sittign on the centerstand, roll the back tire a little between each shift and see if it goes in then?

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

It shifted fine in all gears but every now and then it wouldnt **** above 3rd. Update the trans let go now she is jammed in 2 and locked up. Well I dont know when or if I can fix it now. Thanks for the ideas though.

Comment

I would pull the tranny pan off and see what you see in there, as well as the shift cover on the left side. Something is off somewhere. Try to move the rear wheel forward and back while trying to shift, it might let it come free of 2nd.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Ive tried that while it was being pushed back to my girlfriends and she would not let go. I cant tear into it tell saturday when Im not working.

Comment

It sounds like you and brharris27370 are having pretty much the same issue.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33718

Y'all might want to put your heads together.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                X