Back on the IV gas drip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on the IV gas drip

So I have been battling carb issues since I got my 81H running. I had #2 and #4 leaking and *****Y gas mileage so.. I took of the carbs. After adjusting the floats for height and max travel #2 started leaking again, with a tap on the bowl it stopped. I re-synced the carbs and adjusted the the mixture screw till just before it died.. #1 is 1.5 turns, #2 is 1/4 turn, #3 is 1/2 turn and #4 is 1 turn out.. does this sound right? if not what should I look for when I rip this thing apart again? Pics are included cause I got bored and have had "some" beverages
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Yes it is a mess and yes I have 4 kegs on tap.. I homebrew so I can

[IMG][/IMG]

I decided to smoke a turkey as well... MMMMMM, fat man likey
    [IMG][/IMG]
    1981 xs1100 venturer... Finally runs
    Still has carb issues, but runs
    For all of your Amsoil needs go to www.mrguysoil.com

Well, besides the fact you parked in a fire lane, seem to like to throw darts at the problem, must do alot of very "discreet" side jobs thus the need to change plates depending on where your going and which one their looking for right now, not to mention the fact your into torturing birds - I see you got it all tied up before you stuffed it in the hurt locker. But on to the bike issues....

Have you run a compression check on the engine? Do all four come up pretty close? Reality is that the mixture screws being off from one another is not a horrible thing, the only one that even seems worth giving any thought to is that #1 is a full turn off from the others, but even then, I am not sure I would lose alot of sleep over it. If the compression on one were just a touch low it might effect that, or could simply be a matter of synching if you have not done that yet.

Before you go jerking the carbs like you have been your bird there I would perform a good synch, recheck the mixtures, then do a final synch and see how she runs.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Tuning

I've found that tuning has many variables. My screws were all over the place as well when I first started. I had the carbs off so many times I wish they were on hinges. Anyway, the last time I set all the bowls individually with the hose method, bench sync'd them to get back to a starting point and then put them back on with the idle screws back to the factory settings. Fired it up and sync'd with the gages and didn't have to adjust much. Rode it a couple hundred miles and pulled the plugs. They were finally very close to what I wanted. Checked with the color tune, made a couple fine adjustments, resync'd and now all my screws are less than a 1/4 turn from each other, very close to the factory settings and it's a turn the key and ride operation now. I know how frustrating it can be but hang in there, small adjustments will make a big difference. Every time you touch the idle screws, it will affect the sync.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

I'd check valve clearances if you haven't already.
        Also make sure the pilot jet circuits are clean including the 3 holes right above the throttle plate.

Polishing out the float valve seat with a Q-tip in a drill using some brasso helps them slide and seat better.
        Richard

Comment

You didn't mention WHAT float height you adjusted them to. Many-a-folks (including myself) have failed to notice the "Supplementary" section at the very back of the Clymers that deals with the 80's bikes specifically. If you haven't already, set the floats to 23mm from the body at the gasket mating surface to the top (bottom really) of EACH float in each bowl. Don't worry about trying the hose-fuel level method. It's a lot more work, a lot more complicated, and the results are no better than setting the float height using calipers. After you do that, set the mixture screws to 2.5 turns out from LIGHTLY seated. If your 81 is still having dripping with the floats set to 23mm, you probably need new float valves or there is crap in them keeping them from seating.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Well the floats were at 23mm, the floats are new, I have synced them, valves are adjusted but... I have not done a compression check yet, im gonna wait till after the first tank of gos goes through. I just got this thing running and have only gone 60 mines and im already at half tank. I guess I should just drive the beast until this tank is gone and go from there.

Comment

I was only getting 120 miles out of a tank, but then my 80G wasn't properly tuned/sync'd either.
              I know that if it's dialed in, we should be betting better than 30 mpg.
              Unfortunately, right now, mine is Dead. I've got issues I've got to figure out before I get her back on the road.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

As for milage, I avg right now about 36 MPG out of my Special. But if I get froggy and doing some wrist turning on the right side it will go down in a hurry. And I would think carrying all that baggage and fairing and such might drop it a couple MPG.

Honestly, from what you have said, if it runs decent, I'd ride it for a good 500 or so miles and then see what is going on.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys... im gonna drive a few tanks through it and than go from there

Comment

Depending on WHAT kind of riding I'm doing it ranges from 29 to 37 on my full dress 80G. If it's short trips to and from work, I get about 29, but as soon as I stretch it out to a bit longer trips where it's good and warmed up, it jumps right up to 36 or 37. Don't know what I'd get on a road trip, cause I've never done a full tank on one. Did one ride where I did 145 miles on a single ride, then did a bit more around town on short trips, but I've done some more tuning since then, so I'm not sure if that mileage would still be valid. That tank was about 39 MPG, and was the best mileage I've gotten, that was riding highway 49 with psychoreefer a couple years ago or something like that?
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                    X