Newly Converted (auto cct)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Converted (auto cct)

My four valve shims came in yesterday so after swapping them out I installed my new cam chain tensioner. Pretty simple, drilled the holes a little oversize to allow them to line up and bolted it on. I would recommend this mod to anyone who owns an XS.
    US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
    1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
    1985 Super Glide
    2012 Super Glide

Installed mine 2 weeks ago!

Comment

Aw come-on! Which tensioner? Vmax? Help out an old coot with alsheimers!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yes- 1980s V Max tensioner. If you need one I have for sale-reasonably priced. Email me here if interested.

Comment

I'm not certain which model it is, I bought it from benxs1100 on here, maybe he'll chime in and let you know.
          US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
          1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
          1985 Super Glide
          2012 Super Glide

Comment

Is there a cheap place to get these tensioners? Bike Bandit wants $123!
            Past Rides:
            1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
            1979 XS650 Special
            1978 Honda CB750K
            Current: 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Ebay is about it, or a salvage yard.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

There are a couple on E-bay now. I just paid $26 for one off an 83 Venture, now just to put it on. I know there are installation instructions somewhere on here, just gotta find them now.
                Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

No drilling required for the VMax tensioners, all years work, just plug and play!
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Oldchopper the one you purchased from me was from a yamaha vision.
                    '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
                    Green Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Comment

Venture

Mine's from a Venture 1300 (?). I bought two from the USA, fitted one a while ago and sold the other to someone here in the UK. It's a great modification!
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Sid, you been away too long....................must be ST fever takin' over..........
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Came up empty on EBay unless there are other model tensioners that will work. Reluctant to spend the $ only to find the length or fitment is bad.... Will have to keep looking....
                          For now, I adjusted the OEM tensioner and will see how that helps. The plugs are really black. Looks to be very rich so I may have over adjusted the floats as all 4 look the same. At least I was consistent!
                          Past Rides:
                          1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                          1979 XS650 Special
                          1978 Honda CB750K

Comment

Here are some Vision ones

a Pair
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...9#ht_500wt_956

Singles
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...f#ht_500wt_956
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...c#ht_500wt_956

Here is a Vmax one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/yamaha-vmax-...#ht_500wt_1287
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks. I saw these and was not sure about a 550 working or having the proper spring force and the V-Max seller was located in UK and with the $ exchange would have been over $60US, too steep for me. The 550 models are in Canada so I guess I go for that and then wait for the added customs delays
                              Past Rides:
                              1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                              1979 XS650 Special
                              1978 Honda CB750K

Comment

Working...
                              X