Float Needle Settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float Needle Settings?

Could someone please help me out on this? I need to know the float needle settings on a G model. Thanks

If you have the correct carbs for your bike, all of the 80-81 model carbs, the ones with the plastic floats, and only one set of Ts between the carbs, the correct float height is 23 mm +/- .5 mm.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

And someone pointed out that there's another tab that limits the amount of drop that the float drops too. I had a problem after I set my floats, was that they were dropping too low and getting stuck, so after a hard ride on the interstate, the demand was high and the floats low and they got stuck.
      That other tab is on the right side float post side, just a little bend to limit the travel on your floats is all it takes.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks guys for the help

Comment

I had trouble getting the float height right on my SG. I ended up doing a wet check by leveling the bike, and putting a clear 1/4" vinyl tube on a carb drain, looping the tube up, then opening the drain (making sure the petcock is on prime) to see where the fuel level is. IIRC, it is supposed to be even with the bottom of the flange of the carb bowl (the surface that the bowl screws push against).

Good luck!
          '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Red, I believe the level is below that flange by something like 12 MM (going form a feable memory ) And I would suspect it might be different between the early and late carbs, or the floats have that much difference in boyancy for the different setpoints.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Red, I believe the level is below that flange by something like 12 MM (going form a feable memory ) And I would suspect it might be different between the early and late carbs, or the floats have that much difference in boyancy for the different setpoints.
              Hm... you might be right, as my memory is also feeble. To complicate matters, my feeble memory seems to be squeaking that I may actually have carbs from an XJ, so they could be different anyways.

Is this issue resolved? I can take a photo of my setup showing what I've got for fuel level if it might help.
              '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Working...
              X