Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any body thought of reproduceing xs sidecovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
    The rivets would not be noticable, being on the bottom of the cover, or they could be countersunk and painted over. JAT CZ
    Ya mean kinda like this...??

I was lucky enough to still have the post, I just had to devise a way of putting it back on.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      Is there actually a shortage of side panels? On XS1100's which I've broken for parts (all beyond redemption, I hasten to add), I found that side panels weren't easy to sell. I've seen loads on eBay UK and USA......
      If this is true then for the love of god and all that is holy track some down for me! I'm dying to get my hands on some.
      1980 XS11G 22XXX miles.

Comment

Originally posted by XSTrey11 View Post
        If this is true then for the love of god and all that is holy track some down for me! I'm dying to get my hands on some.
        The issue might be that there are TONS of the early style side covers like those used in Europe, but the special and 80 and 81 North American standard side covers can be very hard if not impossible to find in usable shape.

So, all those side covers he can't get rid of, you can't use them, they won't fit your bike. You can use 79 SF covers, 80G covers like your and 81H covers. But only the North American versions. The European G uses different side covers the the G on this side of the pond.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I just wanted to introduce you to another method of molding/casting.

http://www.smooth-on.com/

Here's the basic idea:

(1) Make a silicone mold around a part and cut it in half. (or take a little more time and form the mold in two parts)

(2) Start making parts by pouring epoxy into the mold.

Because the silicone mold is flexible, it can be stripped away from the slots at the top of the cover.

Here's the best example I've found.

http://www.b9robotresource.com/molding1.htm

My concern with this is the resulting strength of a cast epoxy part. This could be addressed by using better epoxy materials, adding fiber or glass micro-ballons, or modifying the part by thickening it and/or adding ribs.

Another thought (and my initial motivation for applying this technique) is to use this for reproducing carb slide diaphragms.

'81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
          '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90 View Post
            Another thought (and my initial motivation for applying this technique) is to use this for reproducing carb slide diaphragms.
            You can buy new diaphragm.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X