Valve clearance check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve clearance check

I checked my valves this evening and found two intake and two exhaust valves tight out of spec by .001". The others were right on the money. In your experience how much difference will this make? I'm getting shims to correct it but wondered what kind of improvement to expect. The plugs show definitely rich. Carbs are stock XJ carbs with needles shimmed 2 washers. I'm going to put them stock after the valves and a test ride.
    US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
    1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
    1985 Super Glide
    2012 Super Glide

The shimming would be likely to make them show rich all by itself. The shimming raises the needle which makes things richer.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
      I checked my valves this evening and found two intake and two exhaust valves tight out of spec by .001".
      Presumably, these valves were too tight, yes?
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
        Presumably, these valves were too tight, yes?
        Yes, .001" tighter than minimum acceptable. The rich condition is puzzling as the bike has free flowing mufflers and pods. The jetting is stock except for the needles being shimmed.
        US Army 1986-1991

1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
        1985 Super Glide
        2012 Super Glide

Comment

Hard to say. Are the plugs rich at idle, or after a higher RPM chop?
          Mike C
          Lake Orion, Michigan
          '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

The rich condition is puzzling as the bike has free flowing mufflers and pods.
            Check your pods making sure there is no protruding lip blocking the air jet in the carb inlet bell. Common problem with some of the pod filters.

Valve clearance off 1 thou isn't enough to make your engine run poorly.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 08-05-2011, 07:05 AM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Check your pods making sure there is no protruding lip blocking the air jet in the carb inlet bell. Common problem with some of the pod filters.

Valve clearance off 1 thou isn't enough to make your engine run poorly.
              I built extensions for the pods to eliminate the lip problem. I have not done a wide open chop or any chops. I'm a little suspect of the pods, they are the cheap-o style. Similar set on my GS550 and it runs great but it's a different bike and has a stage 3 kit in it.
              I ordered the shims and when I get it back together I'll take it for a run without the pods to see the result. Currently the plugs are a lot rich. I'm also thinking about the coils, plug heat range (currently BP6ES), and the position of the needles.
              US Army 1986-1991

1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
              1985 Super Glide
              2012 Super Glide

Comment

I built extensions for the pods to eliminate the lip problem. I have not done a wide open chop or any chops. I'm a little suspect of the pods, they are the cheap-o style. Similar set on my GS550 and it runs great but it's a different bike and has a stage 3 kit in it.
                I ordered the shims and when I get it back together I'll take it for a run without the pods to see the result. Currently the plugs are a lot rich. I'm also thinking about the coils, plug heat range (currently BP6ES), and the position of the needles.
                You mentioned heat range, so I'll chime in here. I don't think I've ever seen anything on this forum discussing heat range; I'm amazed at this. For at least 10 years I've been running colder plug range in summer. I actually run "8's" in the middle cylinders (BP8ES), and "7's" on the outside cylinders. Your engine will love you for doing this; and it will run much better after engine is warmed. Colder weather, I either run 6's all way across, or use 6's on middle cyls and 5's on outside cyls. General information here~~the XS650, XS750, XS850 used 7 heat range OEM; some of the models; some may have used 6's. I ride this machine daily; it's my only mode of transportation; daily ride since '95. About a month ago I installed NGK Iridium plugs; running the 8's in middle cylinders; 7's on outside cylinders. ONLY WAY TO GO. Gas mileage increase will probably pay for the plugs; not to mention "all the other 'benefits' ".
                JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Working...
                X