Headlight died 80 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight died 80 XS1100

Headlight was working and now is not. Checked fuse is good. Where is the relay for the headlight. Or is there any know problems with the system. Thanks.

Headlight problem

Forgot to mention that I changed out the headlight also.

Comment

Relay is located by the ign. coils under the fuel tank. If you unplug the 4 wire connector and jump the red/yel and blu/blk wires, you will bypass the relay and the light should come on with the key on. A bad charging system will prevent the headlight relay from latching also.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Is the tach working? Check to make sure that the charging system is working, as that can be one of the first signs that it's not working, the headlight not coming on. If the charging system is working, then the things to check are in this order:

1. Headlight (you did already)
        2. Headlight relay (on the frame rails in front of the coils I believe this thread here tells how to bypass http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33468 )
        3. RLU see above referenced thread on how to bypass to test.

if headlight relay test shows bad, then before deciding it's the relay, find and check the diode in the wire harness up between the coils. It's what triggers the relay and if it goes bad the relay even if good won't trigger anymore. If it's bad, any 14 volt or better 2 amp or better diode can replace it, just make sure it's pointing the right way, it's NLA from Yamaha anymore so you have to get one from the local electronic store.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

On my 80 SG there is a diode in the harness under the seat area on left side.If that goes no light!
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
          X