another paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another paint question

I finally found another side cover,from a 78, any good advice on how to remove the gold pinstripe.I'm hoping to do a decent job on a repaint at home.

good ol wetsand

just wetsand with 800-1000 paper til you like it
    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by XSessiveForce79 View Post
      I finally found another side cover,from a 78, any good advice on how to remove the gold pinstripe.I'm hoping to do a decent job on a repaint at home.
      When I painted mine recently, I was able to take a razor scraper blade, that is a new very sharp blade and very slowly slide the blade under the decal and peel it right off. The blade I used was like 5/8" x 3". This sounds a little hazardous to the paint, but by laying the blade down almost flat but with just enough angle to peel up the decal. I took my time and had one cover "de-striped" in about 5 minutes. Be sure the cover is clean so you don't get any unnecessary scratches. You'll find that the surface of the paint it fairly hard (assuming it's original paint) and the blade will slide over it without taking paint with it. Then what you will have is a slight adhesive residue to clean off with mineral spirits. Then I wet sanded with 400, cleaned with degreaser and they were ready for sealer and paint. I would not recommend the pin stripe remover/erasers you put in a drill. They can burn the plastic too easily IMHO.

Good luck!
      '78 XS1100E
      '83 XVZ12

Comment

Working...
      X