Fuel light not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel light not working

My fuel light is not working any trouble shooting suggestions?

John

The first thing to check is for power to the sening unit. It is just a simple float switch. Locate the two wire connector under the seat, the wires should be green and black, unplug it, and with the ignition on, check for power at the end of the green wire in the connection leading to the wiring harness. The black wire is ground. If you have no power, then check the light bulb itself. The bulb is powered by the same circuit that powers the lights in the instrument cluster. The power flows through the bulb, then on to the sender, then on to ground. If power is there, then turn off the ignition, and use an ohm meter to check for continuity throught the sender. Check the wires leading to the sender. If there is a lot of fuel in the tank, this won't work, so you'll need to either drain the tank, or remove the tank and tilt it to the left, transferring the fuel away from the sender. Check for continuity in this position. You should get a reading. If you don't get a reading, then you may have an open somewhere in the circuit. Can you remove the sender? A good visual inspection may reveal the problem, and it may be a quick fix.

Comment

Re: Fuel light not working

Originally posted by skipper808
      My fuel light is not working any trouble shooting suggestions?
      OK, the Specials used a resistor mounted to the tank to operate the light, rather than a mechanical float like the standards used. The value of this resistor changes with temperature. When the fuel level is high enough to be above the resistor, it cools the resistor. When the fuel level drops below that point, it no longer cools it and the resistance changes, triggering the low fuel light.

What you need to check, is:
      1) That the bulb itself is good
      2) You have continuity from the bulb to the resistor
      3) There is continuity through the resistor (warm and cool)
      4) And that power is reaching the resistor when the key is on.

If the above conditions are met, the light should be working. Most likely you just have some corroded connections that are making bad contact. Contact cleaner and anti-oxidant compund will become your best friends with these bikes.

Renegade

Comment

I swapped my fuel bulb with the neutral and it still doesnt light up.
        So I know its not the bulb! Well I'll check the contacts to see if it
        needs cleaning and try testing with my meter. thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X