neutral safty switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neutral safty switch

Ok 79 xs 1100 special bike on center stand it will role over in gear and turn back tire, the green neutral light is on , on the tach face, the book says neutral safty switch but doesnt tell me where the switch is located ,, so I can trace wires. any help tell me where switch is??

The switch is in the case under the shifter cover. If the light stays on when the bike is in gear, the 'sky blue' wire from the switch may be going to ground. This wire is run with the ignition pick-up wires, and goes into the main harness with them. Try disconnecting the wire at the switch; if the light goes off, the switch is bad.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

thanks

I will check it out in the morning, I have alot of crazy electrical problems starting with main one first.

Comment

neutral safty switch

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        The switch is in the case under the shifter cover. If the light stays on when the bike is in gear, the 'sky blue' wire from the switch may be going to ground. This wire is run with the ignition pick-up wires, and goes into the main harness with them. Try disconnecting the wire at the switch; if the light goes off, the switch is bad.
        the light goes off when in gear , but when I have 1 and 4 plugs out to check for spark , I turn key on dont hit start button and the spark plugs are fireing on there own , I think neutral safty switch and ignition wires are bare wire and touching somewhere thanks you are alot of help!!

Comment

My neutral light was always on - I found the wire was grounded to the frame. Re-attaching the wire to the switch fixed the light - only on when in neutral, but it dumped a pint of oil on the ground the next day. The PO must have disconnected the wire and sealed it with sillycone when it leaked.

So there are two switches? I am changing the neutral light indicator switch accessable from under the shifter without removing any covers. Is there also a neutral safety switch to keep the starter from engaging when in gear? - or are they one in the same?
          When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Safety relay

The "starter lock out" came on 1981 and later models.
            It uses a relay switch which the neutral switch and a clutch switch were routed thru. Clutch switch is so you can pull in the clutch and start it in gear.

If your G has it, someone did some mods or you might want to check your serial number..............

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
              The "starter lock out" came on 1981 and later models.
              It uses a relay switch which the neutral switch and a clutch switch were routed thru. Clutch switch is so you can pull in the clutch and start it in gear.

If your G has it, someone did some mods or you might want to check your serial number..............
              Interesting... I was just thinking I need to do a little troubleshooting on my 78E because I noticed the starter will operate with the transmission in gear. Now I know why.

So my neutral switch just operates the light. One slight issue I have is my light won't go on when the bike is hot. Fine otherwise. I seem to remember the little brass plunger in the switch seemed worn down. Probably need a new one.
              '78 XS1100E
              '83 XVZ12

Comment

BikeBandit $31.79 shipped.
                When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Working...
                X