Seat interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat interchange

Anyone know what years will interchange for my 80 xs1100? The seat pan is fine, but some mice must have decided at some point in it's life that it look like a good place to raise a family.

Was looking at a kit on Dennis Kirk for the 2 seat cruiser style. But can't find one for the 80 xs1100, just the 78/79 and the XS specials/limiteds. Are the pans different on those?
    1980 XS1100
    1980 GS550 "bobber" Project
    1981 Honda CB900C Custom-working on restoring
    1996 Kawasaki KLX650 Enduro (love this bike!)
    2008 Yamaha TTR50 (used my boy as an excuse to buy this one. LOL)
    www.cvsimotorsports.com One stop shop for all your automotive and marine needs!
    Team Rice Racing Website
    Step Up or Step Aside

There are several different pans in the XS1100 line. Need to know if yours is a Standard or Special (helps to put that in your signature line). IIRC, '80-'81 Standards swap and the same year Specials swap as well. Standards do not swap with Specials. '79 Specials are unique and do not swap with anything.

If the pan is good, you can take it to any reputable uphostery shop and they can re-foam and cover it for right around $100. I paid just under that for only the cover, but I was looking for an exact replica of the OEM cover. The nice thing about taking it somewhere local is that they can customize it for your rear end and use things like memory foam or gel pads (be careful, as gel soaks up heat from the sun!) to make it more comfortable.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

As far as I know it's just the xs1100 standard. There were no badges as he had bondo'd the tank and side covers and I don't recall it saying anything on the title and motor is not black.
      1980 XS1100
      Team Rice Racing Website
      Step Up or Step Aside

Comment

Originally posted by TeamRiceRacing View Post
        As far as I know it's just the xs1100 standard. There were no badges as he had bondo'd the tank and side covers and I don't recall it saying anything on the title and motor is not black.
        It's not that simple. Has nothing to do with the title or the badges, except for the fact that the VIN is on the title. A few quick ways of telling:

Use the listing on this page to compare your VIN and determine the actual model number. If it's an XS1100G, it's a Standard, if it's an SG, then it's a Special

Look at the front forks, where they attach to the wheel. If the axle is at the very bottom of the forks, it's a Standard. If the axle is on the front edge of the fork tube, it's a Special.

Square gauges? It's a Standard. Round gauges? It's a Special.

Of course, many folks have aquired (or created) frankenbikes, with swapped parts, so the first option is the best.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Well mine might a special. I know the front axle is up about 2" from the bottom of the forks, and I have round gauges
          Bike Photos
          1980 XS1100
          Team Rice Racing Website
          Step Up or Step Aside

Comment

Well mine might a special. I know the front axle is up about 2" from the bottom of the forks, and I have round gauges
            Bike Photos
            Sounds good. Except that you can't link to FB here. Not everyone has a FB account, so it makes viewing the pictures impossible for folks like us.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Bike Photos
              Yep, that's a Special. The only seats that interchange are the '80-81 Specials. To fit anything else will require some major fabrication.

There's several companies that make replacement covers, but that's it. If seat comfort is the main issue, your foam has gone bad from age. Your best bet will be a shop, and have them replace the foam...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                Sounds good. Except that you can't link to FB here. Not everyone has a FB account, so it makes viewing the pictures impossible for folks like us.

sorry. Thought that link was supposed to let anyone look at them. I'll upload some soon. Would do it tonight, but I have a hot date with my 2 year old daughter at the pool. LOL
                1980 XS1100
                Team Rice Racing Website
                Step Up or Step Aside

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  Sure you can. It's just that only FB members can go and see it, which means I can see that it's an SG.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

sorry. Thought that link was supposed to let anyone look at them. I'll upload some soon. Would do it tonight, but I have a hot date with my 2 year old daughter at the pool. LOL
                    If you check, saddlemen seats IIRC has a full seat kit for the SG, and they may also have a kit that is foam and cover, but it's a touring style seat, not a cruiser style, but they do have pictures of them on their web site.

Here is a search I did on there double bucket seat, which comes both as a foam and cover kit for standards and specials and as a complete seat as well for specials.

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index...cat=1&x=21&y=5
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

WTF! I have never created a Facebook account but I can view the photos!!!!
                      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                        WTF! I have never created a Facebook account but I can view the photos!!!!
                        You know, come to think of it, it's all about the security settings. If I tried to do that, you would not see them, as unless you have an account and are on my friends list they would be blocked.

However, this is why any photos I want to share go on photobucket .
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

I figure if someone wants to see me that bad I must be that good looking so why hide it....
                          1980 XS1100
                          Team Rice Racing Website
                          Step Up or Step Aside

Comment

May be a Frankenbike. Has SH rear shocks and SH grab bar. Looks like an SG engine and side covers, although the alt and timing cover may have been changed. For that matter, the whole engine may have been changed. Do the frame & engine #'s match?
                            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

according to title it starts of 3J6-0002XX (made wife grab it. but she can't figure out how to find it on the frame...(shaking head)
                              1980 XS1100
                              Team Rice Racing Website
                              Step Up or Step Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X