Slow to warm up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow to warm up

Hi. I have a 1979 standard with about 20,000 miles on it. I don't ride it as much as I'd like to. One reason is that it takes a long time to warm up so I can turn the choke off from middle position. A while back, I rebuilt carb and put one on (I think) from a Special. I made notes that the jets (I think) said #1 (266, X-2), #2 (301, X-2), #3 (301, X-2), and #4 (266, X-2). I did this because the Special carb was in better shape. The bike starts fine and runs fine after it's warmed up for like 10 minutes or so. I have BPR6EIX iridium plugs at 0.030, stock wires and coils, K&N air filter. I do not think it's running lean. Everything runs great after it's warmed up. Does anything obvious come to mind to anyone? I don't remember my XS750 or XS850 decades ago taking this long to warm up. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Helmets save lives. Loud pipes hurt my ears.

Those numbers you listed are emulsion tube numbers or needle jet numbers. What are your main and pilot jet numbers? Could be your float level is a bit on the lean side or low circuit and/or enricher passages are a bit clogged.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Take a small piece of wire, carb cleaner and compressed air and clean out the passages in the float bowls. Does it run well while the choke is pulled out?
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I probably won't have time to tear the carbs down until this winter to check numbers. Don't know what jet numbers are. When I rebuilt them, I'm 99.9% sure I cleaned out all small passages everywhere, and some were clogged. Since then, it's always been cold-blooded. It does not "run" well with the choke half out (just like it says you are not supposed to do this). It starts fine with the choke full out and fast-idles fine with the choke half out. After about 10 minutes or so, it will idle fine and drive fine with the choke in. Can too low of float levels do this? How long do y'all have to let it warm up before no choke?
        Helmets save lives. Loud pipes hurt my ears.

Comment

Depends on the weather for me. In the winter (5ºF-60ºF) I use the full choke for about 2 minutes, then bump it down to half for a mile or so. After that, it's all set. This summer, I've been able to only use half choke in the morning for about a 1/2 mile, then I turn it off. No choke at all when I ride later in the day.

The carbs don't take all that long to clean, especially since you been in there before. Remember the phrase "Triple-clean" refers to the fact that most folks end up cleaning them 3 times before they get all the gunk out. You should be able to complete the process in a couple hours, including a sync. You should be able to find a couple hours one evening to spend with your bike, right?
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
          X