fuel line routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel line routing

just read up on posts and learned the "t" line from the left frt petcock outlet is connected to carbs 3,4 and the right frt petcock connects to 1,2? is there someone who can verify, cause it seems the line from the frt petcock to the t is too long on my 81 special w/octy. the OEM diagram at Bike Bandit doesnt show that and i connected mine according to the diagram
    http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...8246#sch222003
    Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
    Kerker 4/1
    stock carbs and air box.
    78 headlite, handle bars,
    1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
    crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
    78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
    94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

it sounds correct, when you refer to the front left and front rt petcocks are you refering to the octy or the tank? If the line to the t is to long it maybe that you have the line that is your primary fuel line from the tank connected to the t you should have two lines from your tank petcocks one will be for priming only and one will be for run and reserve the primeing line should be on the t line the other line goes to the #3or4 stem on the octy you can tell be turning the valve to prime or run-reserve and suck on line or if you have gas in tank it will come out if it comes out on prime and its connected to the t its right may have to just swicth around or cut it check to see if the octy is opening to allow fuel to flow I by passed the octy plugged the prime line and went right to carbs installed an in line shutoff on both lines so I dont use the tank shut off works hard and is old might start to leak could rebuild but just as easy

Comment

Originally posted by Owestfall View Post
      it sounds correct, when you refer to the front left and front rt petcocks are you refering to the octy or the tank? If the line to the t is to long it maybe that you have the line that is your primary fuel line from the tank connected to the t you should have two lines from your tank petcocks one will be for priming only and one will be for run and reserve the primeing line should be on the t line the other line goes to the #3or4 stem on the octy you can tell be turning the valve to prime or run-reserve and suck on line or if you have gas in tank it will come out if it comes out on prime and its connected to the t its right may have to just swicth around or cut it check to see if the octy is opening to allow fuel to flow I by passed the octy plugged the prime line and went right to carbs installed an in line shutoff on both lines so I dont use the tank shut off works hard and is old might start to leak could rebuild but just as easy
      hey O. ive got them connected as per the diagram. im ref to the petcock outlet ports. , left petcock, frt outlet to t which is the prime outlet to 1,2 carbs. right petcock, frt outlet to t to 3,4 carbs. octy if fine, and t doesnt go there. my question was do the prime lines go to opposing carbs. i dont remember them routed that way, but the short pri line off the tank seems a klittle too long and is kinking. i could shorten it, but im looking for some experienced advice. thanx 4 ur input
      Michael
      Max

Kerker 4/1
      stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

That diagram is correct. First check that your petcocks are on the correct sides, they have an L and an R stamped into them. Left and Right refers when your sitting on the bike looking forward.

If the petcocks are correct, then the front nipple on each petcock goes to the T, the back nipple on each petcock goes to the center two nipples or inlets on the Vacuum valve - OCTY. The outer two outlets or nipples on the OCTY go the T that the front outlets of the petcocks go to. Now you simply hook the third side of the T on each side to that sides fuel T on the carbs. Then hook a vacuum line form the side outlet nipple in the back of the OCTY to the carb boot vacuum nipple for no 2 cylinder.

It seems you were referring to the criss crossing of fuel lines to let the right side petcock feed the left side carbs and vice-versa. Some folks do that when they eliminate the OCTY. I never have myself.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

to be clear, it can be simply stated as:
          are the 2 fuel line t'd at the bottom of the carbs that feeds carbs 1,2 and 2,3
          connected to opposing R AND L TANK petcocks so they r crossed under the carbs b4 they connect to the primary line t? it was simple in my mind, but more difficult to explain. anybody with me?
          Max

Kerker 4/1
          stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

ok, thanx DG. i didnt think they were x'd when i took them apart. i guess in actuality, it doesnt really matter. how my L/S petcock PRI fuel line has more slack, i dont know. ive had them off more than ive wanted to, so its not my first time, and theyve been ok. ive adjusted the length of the loop at the t to carb line to make up my slack. seems ok 4 now.
            Max

Kerker 4/1
            stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

On the Special, WITH the octy, the lines are NOT crossed. Lines from the left petcock go to carbs 1&2, lines from right petcock go to carbs 3&4. Of course, if you feel like crossing them, I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything. Just no real reason to do so.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

If you take the octy off (which I just did) do you need to cross or can you just hook left side to l1/2, right side to 3/4?
                Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
                1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
                1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
                  If you take the octy off (which I just did) do you need to cross or can you just hook left side to l1/2, right side to 3/4?
                  Crossing the lines is an attempt to prevent kinking. You don't have to, but you can if you like. If they are crossed, it will also require a little more line, which may make things easier when you turn the tank around and connect it backward for syncing the carbs.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Your right, they are better off crossed to avoid the kinking. Thought maybe there was some other reason. Thanks
                    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
                    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
                    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Working...
                    X