Engine stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine stand

I am pretty proud of myself for this get-up. I hate working on stuff in awkward settings so I tend to make a lot of tools, etc. probably like a lot of you guys. Since this engine is a @*#%^^$%^ to get in and out of the chassis I figured I'd get it running and tuned before putting it back in the frame, but how?

I came up with the idea of getting the cradle off another frame which our local bike salvage place was kind enough to do for me, then make brackets to attach it to an engine stand (the floor style). The pic is from my phone so it's not great but you can see what I did.

Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
    Early 70s Honda 90 Enduro
    1998 Honda Shadow ACE
    2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Dogs understand why people ride motorcycles

I think you need to extend those front wheels out about another foot or so if you plan to run an engine on there or it will end up standing on it's head when it torques.

Wheelie bars maybe to attach for running an engine. That will be good for working on it but it will spin forward from the torque when it's running.

JAT
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I thought about the torque factor but wasn't sure what direction it would go.

Thanks for that info!
      Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
      1998 Honda Shadow ACE
      2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Comment

Comment

Shoot, that's even better! Ok, I'll try that next.
          Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
          1998 Honda Shadow ACE
          2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Comment

Also if you are going to be running the engine make something to cover the middle drive output shaft so you dont get something wrapped up in it...
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

As per a request..... another pic

Note: I used 3 inch long bolts which if I were to make another I use 3 1/2" on the bottom two. Also I cut a piece of tubing for the spacers on the bottom, but could just have used a second set of nuts if you have enough threds on the bolts.
              Last edited by mro; 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X