petcock!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock!!!!!

Please please please, can anyone help me. I am a new xs1100 midnight special owner. I need advice on the settings on my petrol tap. plus my bike just cuts out at low revs ie junctions and pulling into my drive, could this be a fuel prob as i am running badly, the bike feels like it needs to clear its throat. I know i am asking a lot but can anyone help.
    gary

FAQ

Gary, go to the top and click on FAQ, read what is prevelant to you for starters, sounds like you need to clean and bench syncronize your carbs, you also might check your pick up wires! Welcome to the site lots of info in the forums here just do what we have all done read,read,read. Hope this helps, good luck............MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Hey there Gary,

Follow this link to the "Links" page, thread, and follow the link in the message to D/L the owner's manual for the 81H/SH which covers the standard and special, should help with your midnight!
      And like Mitch said, search, and read, and prepare to do some tinkering on your machine. It could also be the Octopus and it's controlling valve that's acting up, as well as the Petcocks, floats, etc.! Don't get discouraged, these are great bikes, but if your's has been sitting for a while, months, years usually, they do require a bit of internal cleaning and tuning to get them to purr..
      err..... GROWL!!!

Link to PDF Owner's manual

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

petcocks

i had a similar crisis with my xj fuel system. the final solution, completely remove the octopus and both petcocks. replace with petcocks from a older gs850. the holes lined up and the zuk pets had the vacuum diaphram built in. run a vac line to one carb boot on each side and call it done.

Comment

thanks to you all for your advice, the problem with the petcocks has been solved. however on inspecting the diaphrams in the carbs, all four had holes in them!!!!! this will explain the bad running, i hope. After reading in this very forum i have heard about repairing them with spray rubber this is my next step. thanks again
          Gary
          gary

Comment

Don't get too "carried away" with that rubber spray. You can make the diaphragms too stiff.

Originally posted by sarrebmat
            thanks to you all for your advice, the problem with the petcocks has been solved. however on inspecting the diaphrams in the carbs, all four had holes in them!!!!! this will explain the bad running, i hope. After reading in this very forum i have heard about repairing them with spray rubber this is my next step. thanks again
            Gary
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Goop

In canada we have a product call Goop, it is a liquid plastic avaliable at all auto parts stores comes in a tube. I used it for my intake rubbers and carb diaphrams. works great drys in 10 min cheap. dont know if u can get it down south good luck ..MITCH
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

thanks for advice but am puzzled with the "down south" i am in Great Britain and you in Canada. Went to Edmonton mall many years ago, also jasper great country yours.
                gary

Comment

Sorry

Gary ,Iam sorry i guess i am just used to the majority of people here are from the US of A. Just a brain fart, im gonna blame it on old age. Have a great day ....MITCH
                  Doug Mitchell
                  82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

Working...
                  X