electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical problems

so the headlamp goes out and after replacing that, still wouldn't work. and soon after that nothing works, won't even start only thing working was the front turn signals. starting tracing wires looking at the fuse block you name it. Did find one blown fuse. The problem turned out to be the fuse holders apparently were corroded just enough to prevent contact. cleaned the metal holders and everything works. Would not have guessed that one. Just posting my adventure for others to not overlook cleaning the fuse holders.
    1978 XS1100
    1979 Honda Goldwing

Give serious thought to replacing the fusebox. These are known trouble spots on these, and they can deteriorate simply from age. TC sells a nice little replacement for $10 that uses modern fuses (easier to find these days) and can be installed in a couple of hours. Look here:http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14052
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I've been eyeing those. when my power was off I was looking on the site for tips and saw quite a few threads showing those improved fuse blocks. Looks like the way to go.
      1978 XS1100
      1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro1954 View Post
        I've been eyeing those. when my power was off I was looking on the site for tips and saw quite a few threads showing those improved fuse blocks. Looks like the way to go.

Yes they are! Best bang for your buck!
        Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
        Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
        Pod Filters
        DynoJet Kit
        T.C.'s Fuse Block
        Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
        Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Working...
        X