It went clank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It went clank

OK took my 80 xs11 out for a putt with the sidecar. Went to pull away from a light and heard what sounded like the center stand smacking the frame. Picked up my son and again starting from a stop "clank". "Me" this isn't good I hope we can get home. Started up a hill and "clank" chatter chatter....coast to a stop
    "well thats as far as we are going tonight." Got it loaded on a trailer and is home now. Wont be able to dig into it till monday at the earliest probably next sat or sun
    Question: what should I look at first, I am guessing middle drive or final drive leaning towards middle because of where the noise seamed to have come from. This doesn't quite come as a surprise as I do ride the bike hard even with the sidecar attached.

Thanks for the help

Steve

Clank

I'd start with the easy stuff first. Pull the rubber boot back and see if you've sheared off the bolts connecting the drive shaft/middle drive. Then diagnose from there. I take the motor stiff runs good.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

I'd start with the easy stuff first. Pull the rubber boot back and see if you've sheared off the bolts connecting the drive shaft/middle drive.Actually got that far no signs of damage so far but only pulled the boot back to see the mounting flange. Then diagnose from there. I take the motor stiff runs good. Yep

Comment

I have heard the primary chain "snap" against the engine casing before. Do you think it was that? Well may not, if it chattered all the way to a stop...
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

well

if it was mine I'd put it up on the center stand, pull or tie the boot out of the way, start it, put in gear and let the clutch out slow and watch and listen. If the shaft isn't turning the wheel, it could be middle drive, "U" joint, or a shaft.
          mack
          79 XS 1100 SF Special
          HERMES
          original owner
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
          SPICA
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
          IOTA
          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
          Frankford, Ont, Canada
          613-398-6186

Comment

This sounds vaguely familiar to what happened to Jerry a few years ago. The splines on his driveshaft to Final Drive wore down from lack of effective lubrication. "Breeze", I haven't seen you post on here before, so I'm thinking you're fairly new to the site. I don't know how long you've had your bike, but the Zerk fitting at the FD does NOTHING! You have to take the FD unit off from the swingarm to inspect, and clean/regrease the splines, best time is during rear tire changes.

But as others have stated, on the centerstand and verify whether the rear wheel can be turned by the engine/tranny. I know you were able to roll it onto the trailer, but that was perhaps in neutral..which is still a good sign for the middle drive. Good Luck!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I was coming down an off ramp on my way home from the Olympia Rally. I was pulling my trailer, as I do to most rallies. Put the bike in 1st, let out the clutch, clank. Bike is dead in the water.

After getting the rig home I pulled the final drive and removed the drive shaft. The splines n the shaft, where they go into the final drive, haqd become so worn the shaft was spinning inside the final drive.

Got a replacement shaft and final drive from Trbig on this list, put everything back together using Honda's drive shaft lube, and was back in business.

Full thread is http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...rn+drive+shaft

As TopCat said, if you have not pulled your final and looked at / lubricated your drive shaft, i would check there first. The added load of a sidecar, combined with inadequate lubrication, may have ended up causing s situation similar to what I experienced.

If that is the case, replacement / repair parts should be found be in the $50.00 range, my guess.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Well its apart and it looks just like Jerrys. Now a question about part #s from what I understand the first 3 numbers are first model number that part appeared on and the next 9 are the part number so if the second 9 numbers match exactly it is the same part. Reason I am asking is I found a XJ750 driveshaft and final drive and the yamaha site shows both are shaft #46172-00-00 and FD #46101-00-00.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Uh, not exactly with the part numbers! The first three are the MODEL designator, as well as when it first appeared, but for that particular model. The last numbers are descriptive for the TYPE of part, but the first 3 are critical (usually) for matching to your specific model. So... one from an XJ750 won't necessarily fit just because it has the same last #'s!

We found that out with just the XS750/850FD and driveshaft swap vs. the OEM FD. There's a link(in the LINKS SECTION) to the Parts Finder and comparator on the UK site that will tell you what year/models share the same part as your model of XS11

With many of the folks that have done the 750 FD swap, you should be able to find some OEM shafts and FD's.

Good Luck!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you are looking for a driveshaft, XS/XJ1100's only, nothing else is the same. Info taken from Boats.net

Description
                    --- SHAFT, DRIVE, SHAFT, DRIVE 1
                    This Yamaha 2H7-46172-00-00 SHAFT,DRIVE part is also used on these models and components:

1978 XS1100E FINAL DRIVE GEAR-DRIVE SHAFT

1979 XS1100F DRIVE SHAFT

1979 XS1100SF FINAL DRIVE GEAR-DRIVE SHAFT

1980 XS1100G DRIVE SHAFT

1980 XS1100LG DRIVE SHAFT

1980 XS1100SG DRIVE SHAFT

1981 XS1100H DRIVE SHAFT

1981 XS1100LH DRIVE SHAFT

1981 XS1100SH DRIVE SHAFT

1982 XJ1100J DRIVE SHAFT
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

And unfortunately for you, when doing the swap, only the FD is swapped, the original drive shaft is typically used unless it's FUBAR, or unless like me your lucky enough to have an extra that can be modded ahead of time, but that didn't give me an extra, it just means I have the original to go back to without having to unmod the one I modified.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks for the input about the part numbers. I have other projects that will keep me from getting further along with the repairs. I have gotten a couple of sources for a XS final drive lined up when I have the time.

Thanks to all for the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X