No announcement yet.

Battery Poll 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two things come to mind.............tenders are NOT battery's friend or yours...........batteries LIKE to be used, not 'shelved'..................short version of a more complicated explanation...........and a 6+yr. old Interstate that STILL load test beyond manufacturer's suggested amp. load and load time......and I mean WAY beyond!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Battery

I bought a XTAX24HL-BS Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery at Batterys + April 2009, about $100.00 out the door. It died 4 months ago! I had it on a tender most of the time, I did cycle it once, thanks to the "park light" on the ing. switch I called Batterys + and they were not surprised, he said two years is about all they are good for in Florida and they only have a 90 day warranty I told him I had gotten 5+ years out of much cheaper batterys. I just bought a Walmart EverStart today for $50.00 after reading post here and will update later
      Last edited by XS1100_OEM4ME; 08-27-2011, 04:08 PM.
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Haven't checked to see what brand mine is on the G but all I know is that I bought it when I went to check/buy my G more than 5 years ago and it's stilll going strong. I do run it all the time here in FL and at least once a year fill it up with distilled water and charge it up. Hasn't failed me since. Bought it from the dealer ($70).... didin't know any better then. Currently use/run wallyworld batts and they seem fine for the $$.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Battery manufacturer:Superstart (East Penn Manufacturing)
          Battery part number:C50N18LA3
          Puchased from:Oreilly's
          Purchase price:$68.99 (billed thru my account at work)
          Date of purchase 8/11
          Date of failure:Same brand from same place lasted 2 yrs. until this month
          Battery tender:No-other than riding bike every day I can
          Sealed:No
          Richard
          '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

I think you should include time spent charging non sealed batteries. My Barrett has never been charged and has been owned since October 07. I will include more info about mt battery when I get home.

Last edited by yamahansolo; 10-05-2011, 01:40 AM.
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Deka ETX18L Battery

-1 Year Free Replacement Warranty
              -AGM sealed design
              -Vibration resistant
              -Maintenace Free
              -Heavy Duty Poured Post
              -Low Discharge Rate for Storage
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                I bought a XTAX24HL-BS Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery at Batterys + April 2009, about $100.00 out the door. It died 4 months ago! I had it on a tender most of the time, I did cycle it once, thanks to the "park light" on the ing. switch I called Batterys + and they were not surprised, he said two years is about all they are good for in Florida and they only have a 90 day warranty I told him I had gotten 5+ years out of much cheaper batterys. I just bought a Walmart EverStart today for $50.00 after reading post here and will update later
                This was exactly my point a few weeks ago. You old schoolers are putting your agms on a tender. Don't do it. It ruins agm batteries
                . Just go to Wikipedia and read about it. My Ahmed is going since 2007 and has never ever been on a tender. This is why Ahmad are getting a bad wrap!!! Don't tender them and they will last.
                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

Battery Manufacturer: power sprts agm
                  Battery Model/PN: etx18l
                  Battery Purchased From: advanced autoparts Price: $97.00
                  Date of Purchase: 10/ 2007
                  Date of Failure: still strong
                  Battery Tender: never/ever tender your agm
                  Sealed: yes
                  Thi battery sat 3 month last year , fired right up! No charging. Properly maintaining an agm by not charging it will net you great amounts of free time not hooking up a tender.

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

Sorry my stupid droid keeps changing agm to ahmed...

79 xs11 standard
                    8mm msd wires
                    tkat fork brace...
                    Fox shocks...
                    mikes650 front fender
                    led's gallore...
                    renthal bars
                    gold valve emulators
                    vmax tensioner
                    Rifle fairing

Comment

To tell the truth, while I have the pigtail for the maintainer attached and all, I haven't plugged my standard battery in since the initial charge after installing it. I suspect even AGM's if they sit long enough need some sort of maintainer, but it would need to be something designed for them and their characteristics. At this point, with the feedback I've gotten, I figure my next battery will be an AGM.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

If you read Wikipedia magma loose I thunk it was 1 milivolt a month vs a week for the lead. Or it may have been 1 volt per month vs 1 volt per week.

79 xs11 standard
                        8mm msd wires
                        tkat fork brace...
                        Fox shocks...
                        mikes650 front fender
                        led's gallore...
                        renthal bars
                        gold valve emulators
                        vmax tensioner
                        Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                        X