Piston rings... Will this ever end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston rings... Will this ever end?

So I put the new rings in, got the cylinders on, head on, torqued and I go to check the amount of engine oil I need to put in and while looking through the back of the book I see something I never noticed before, there's a drawing of #2 ring and it has a bevel and the narrow side is up.

Damned if I saw that or read about #2 needing to be oriented in one way or the other. I have no idea if I have those 2nd rings in any order much less right. They were Yama NOS rings so I guess they have a bevel.

Of course I read this 20 minutes after torquing the head gasket.

Lovely. Now to buy another head gasket and take the top down again.

Damn...

This is getting old.
    Last edited by KA1J; 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

There has been some talk about the ring having a chamfer, dont remember any specifics... might want to wait untill someone rings in and confirms if its orientation is necessary...?
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I wouldn't sweat re-using that head gasket if all you did was tighten it down - no run time....

I reused one that had 30 years on it, and two disassemblies and have no leaks... you ought to be fine without buying a new one (again).
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Up to you and your piece mind, but I would not think twice about reusing that head gasket unless it tears pulling the head off.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Yup, tore a bit off from the edge of the head gasket and the base gasket has two tears in it, one around a stud and one cutting one side in half in the middle.

May be able to use gasket filler to fill in the head gasket tear and probably can use RTV black to patch the base gasket back to working.

Oh this is maddening. I'm going to walk away for the weekend, I don't want to even look at it.

No.

Why didn't Yamaha put something so important about that in the section where they went into such detail how to check the pistons/rings and show the drawing of the proper gap placement & piston position on 3-46 & 3-45 in the assembly section instead of tucking a drawing showing ring angles in the errata in the far back of the manual on page 7-5 ? Idiots...

Ugh...
          Last edited by KA1J; 07-29-2011, 05:12 PM.
          82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
            Yup, tore a bit off from the edge of the head gasket and the base gasket has two tears in it, one around a stud and one cutting one side in half in the middle.

May be able to use gasket filler to fill in the head gasket tear and probably can use RTV black to patch the base gasket back to working.

Oh this is maddening. I'm going to walk away for the weekend, I don't want to even look at it.

No.

Why didn't Yamaha put something so important about that in the section where they went into such detail how to check the pistons/rings and show the drawing of the proper gap placement & piston position on 3-46 & 3-45 in the assembly section instead of tucking a drawing showing ring angles in the errata in the far back of the manual on page 7-5 ? Idiots...

Ugh...
            I spray my gaskets with Pam.
            Works well.
            HTH
            Hang in there.
            XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
            650SF
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
            XS1100SG Project bike
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X