Seat threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat threads

My '78 Standard seat is in really good condition, but on the sides of the drivers section toward the chrome trim at the bottom the threads are loose and some are gone. The cover looks to be in excellent shape, what's the best way to take that cover off and sew it back together?
    Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
    Early 70s Honda 90 Enduro
    1998 Honda Shadow ACE
    2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Dogs understand why people ride motorcycles

The cover is held on with sharp metal "teeth" on the underside that stab through the cloth and hold it in place. To remove the cover, you need to bend the teeth out a bit (be careful not to break them, they are brittle) and lift the cloth off the teeth. You can then break out the needle and thread and sew to your heart's content.

The problem is that re-installing an old cover can be difficult because the cloth will now be stretched and brittle, and the teeth will have already made holes in it. You might get lucky though!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
    X