gas line plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas line plug

Ive decided to do away with the octy on my 80 mns and go straight to carbs need to plug off second line on petcocks can stick a bolt with clamp but does anyone know if there is a plug made for plugging gas lines they make vacuum line caps I would like to have some type of plug instead of screw or bolt and clamp????

good luck

I did same and tried stubs with bolts and all kinds of plugs, was never happy with the result. Finally I woke up and just ran a separate line from the fronts from left side to right. Looks like I have two lines (like original)and no leaks. It lays right on top of the air box boots and isn't functional but isn't realy in the way either.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

Here's another method.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32980
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Is there a reason to do away with the OCTY? I have it on my 80' also and I read alot of people eliminate it...any pro's / con's to not using it?
        Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
        1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
        1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
          Is there a reason to do away with the OCTY? I have it on my 80' also and I read alot of people eliminate it...any pro's / con's to not using it?
          The reason for removing it is basically to remove several potential points of failure. Each place where the fuel line connects is a potential leak point, plus the diaphragm in the octy can fail (though it can also be replaced). Plus, when you have to replace the fuel lines, it requires a lot more line and some patience in cutting the right lengths to prevent kinking.

The reason for keeping it (besides the purists' reason of keeping it stock) is that the octy is a safety valve. When working properly, it stops the fuel flow when the engine is not running, so if your carbs leak, AND your petcocks leak, it prevents flooding the engine with fuel. Most folks try to prevent this by resorting to turning the petcocks OFF every time they dismount. However, there is always the remote chance that the petcocks may STILL leak in the OFF position. The octy also allows fuel from both sides of the tank to be evenly fed to both sides of the carb bank. Without the octy, when the fuel level drops low enough, there is the possibility that one side of the tank could run out of fuel earlier than the other. Granted, this is not usually a major issue.

So, if you like simplicity, and don't like the extra fuel lines under the tank, remove the octy and make it like most other bikes. If you have confidence in your fuel lines and 30-y/o Yamaha technology, leave it in there. Your choice.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I got tired of having a short piece of gas line with a bolt stuck in the end, so when I rebuilt my petcocks this past weekend, I used Steven's petcock mod. It worked awesome and no more gas line with bolts hanging off the petcock anymore! It's a simple fix.
            Ryan

1981 XS1100SH
            K&N filter
            Spade fuse block
            Barnett Springs

Comment

Thanks Catatonic. I sync'd carbs tonight and put back together had a leak in one of the gas lines, tomorrow its new gas lines and no octy. Should be easier on kinking (hopefully).
              Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
              1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
              1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Working...
              X