cam chain tensioner travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam chain tensioner travel

Went to adjust my cam chain, found the shaft in the OEM wasn't hardened all the way to the end. The set screw had bitten into the shaft and would return to the previous setting instead of advancing (yes, I was using an inch lb. torque wrench). Happen to have a Venture "parts bike" my son has left for me to trip over, so, I stole one of the tensioners. The travel of the auto unit is about 1/4 inch longer the the OEM. I've never seen the inside of this engine. Will the extra travel run the chain into something it won't like? Damage the guide? The auto unit produces 1.4 pounds less force than the OEM at the same extension, so I feel it unlikely to cause any chain/guide problems unless the extra travel will.

All of the tests and study done by those who have looked at this pretty carefully have come to the conclusion that it will be fine.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper View Post
      Went to adjust my cam chain, found the shaft in the OEM wasn't hardened all the way to the end. The set screw had bitten into the shaft and would return to the previous setting instead of advancing (yes, I was using an inch lb. torque wrench). Happen to have a Venture "parts bike" my son has left for me to trip over, so, I stole one of the tensioners. The travel of the auto unit is about 1/4 inch longer the the OEM. I've never seen the inside of this engine. Will the extra travel run the chain into something it won't like? Damage the guide? The auto unit produces 1.4 pounds less force than the OEM at the same extension, so I feel it unlikely to cause any chain/guide problems unless the extra travel will.
      I've had one in mine for a couple of months. No problems at all. See http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33556
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Has anyone given thought to the fact that the original adjuster only put tension against the chain when it is adjusted, and from then on, as the chain wears, it is allowed some slack, which allows oil into the wearing surfaces.
        With constant tension on the chain, the oil would have a harder time getting in between the links and pins.
        ?????
        CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
          Has anyone given thought to the fact that the original adjuster only put tension against the chain when it is adjusted, and from then on, as the chain wears, it is allowed some slack, which allows oil into the wearing surfaces.
          With constant tension on the chain, the oil would have a harder time getting in between the links and pins.
          ?????
          CZ
          The original adjuster also slipped. All the newer bikes with pretty much the same chain system use the new adjuster without chain life issues. So no, there should be no problem with the chain getting oiled.
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

?????
            Now I KNOW you know better than that CZ! ..........otherwise guess I wasted money replacing loose timing chains in all those SB chevs. and fords!...........should of waited till they jumped time!......
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

There's plenty of oil sloshing about. I can't imagine for one second that correct lubrication of the chain depends on it being slightly slack, between manual tightenings-up.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

SKipper, I think the honest answer to your question is no, no one has looked at it to that depth (pun intended). However, I will say that I do recall taking the engine apart from my first XS11 and seeing a good deal of space in the cam chain galley around where that tensioner does its job. I do not suspect the 1/4" will cause any issues, but no, I have not taken any measurements either. I have one in my engine and will sleep very soundly.

As to the oiling, it seems to me that the chain bends enough at all the gears that it will get plenty oil in joints at that time. Never hurts for someone to play devil's advocate though.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys, I worry about my baby (likely unnecessarily), I bought it new, they don't make anything now that lights my fire so I want to keep it for the rest of my riding life. Seeing as how I'm 70, it may not have to last all that long.
                  My experience with long cam chains in cars (wrench for 53 years) tells me a chain and guides wear much faster when the chain gets loose and flops around. So, keeping it snug will add immensely to its life. It appears as though the OEM was out half of its travel when new (looking at where the shaft was polished where the set screw rode). This means I have as much travel now as when new. GREAT!!!!

Comment

Seeing as how I'm 70, it may not have to last all that long.
                    My grandma lived to be 95. She went out with me on the back of my XS1100 when she was 78 years old, saying she'd "never travelled at 100mph before and would like to see what it's like". We did 100mph down the motorway, completely illegally (70mph limit), which added to her experience.

You may have at least another 20 years left. Look after the bike, eh?

Comment

Happen to have a Venture "parts bike" my son has left for me to trip over, so, I stole one of the tensioners.
                      Skipper, does this mean you have an extra?? I've been thinking about doing this.
                      91 ST1100

Comment

Well Dean, there is still one in the front cyl case. However, it isn't mine, so I don't dare offer it to you. Sorry, but one day Rob may need it. I'll ask him if he wants to sell it though. I've seen these on E-bay for not much money and usually sold as a pair.
                        James, my problem is that the OEM seat never was "long haul comfortable". It hasn't gotten much better in 32 years. Yeah, I know there are after market seats out there. I've tried not to modify this thing beyond an easy retro to stock. Maybe I'm just too fussy.

Comment

Well Dean, there is still one in the front cyl case. However, it isn't mine, so I don't dare offer it to you. Sorry, but one day Rob may need it. I'll ask him if he wants to sell it though. I've seen these on E-bay for not much money and usually sold as a pair.
                          James, my problem is that the OEM seat never was "long haul comfortable". It hasn't gotten much better in 32 years. Yeah, I know there are after market seats out there. I've tried not to modify this thing beyond an easy retro to stock. Maybe I'm just too fussy.
                          Saddlemen seats has a complete kit that replaces the cover and foam for about $140 that is supposed to be pretty comfortable for long haul. I was thinking about it, but mine is not stock anyways and is pretty comfortable so I'm just going to teach myself how to do the covering myself (my bike is my daily transportation so unless I can find a loaner seat for while I take it to a local upholstery shop to get it re-covered I have to do it myself as I can't just order a cover off the net and I don't even know who made the seat or if they are even still in business).
                          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          750 FD Mod
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Cy, last time I looked at Saddlemen, they listed a complete seat for the SF,pan and all, about $225. Seriously considered it. Took a nap, urge went away.

Comment

Sorry, didn't see what you have. For the G all they have is the foam and cover. They may have a kit like that for the SF as well at the lower price, but then they may not. The nice thing about the full kit, is you still have your original seat that you can either sell or keep for putting it back to stock.
                              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              750 FD Mod
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                              X