air filter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air filter problems

Hi, I bought a new air filter a few years ago. just opened it up and got ready to install it but it is too tall for my air box. the one i got says it fits my bike but it is about 1 inch too tall any ideas?
    "Lead by example, Follow by choice"

1979 xs1100sf 10,182 miles

i've heard of some aftermarket filters that were maybe 1/4 inch too tall, but one inch too tall!! i don't think your gonna squeeze that one in there. write it off as a loss and buy the correct one.
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

thanks that is what i tried to do before. I got a k&n filter for my bike and it does not fit... i want to make sure the next filter i buy works so what filter do i need to buy? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by edavi394 View Post
        thanks that is what i tried to do before. I got a k&n filter for my bike and it does not fit... i want to make sure the next filter i buy works so what filter do i need to buy? thanks
        If it's a K&N contact them. They are very good about fixing things and making things right. They will very likely exchange it for you and make sure you have the right filter for your bike.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You sure it doesn't fit? it has to settle around the lip inside the airbox to hold it in place. Is it at least the right shape? Got a picture?
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Are you sure that you have the right filter?
            K&N num YA 1400 fits my 80 G like a glove.
            The number should be formed into the rubber sealing gasket.
            CZ

Comment

I think the box got thrown away but I will see if the part number is on the filter anywhere. it is the correct shape, but it does not fit. I took the air box off and made sure it was seated properly in the bottom. it just wont fit. I might have been off when I said an inch it may bee more like 1/2 inch. I just know I could not even force it, it was not like it was close and would not quite make it...

Comment

Make sure no part of an old filter gasket is stuck in the top of the air box. I heard of some of these filters being 1/4" too tall (not the K&N) and fellas squashing the filter down a bit in between 2 pieces of plywood in a vise.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                X