Will have the carbs back soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will have the carbs back soon

Rick West at Oldskoolcarbs emailed me today that he shipped my carbs. I can't wait to get them on the bike. Rick sent me a link with pictures of my actual carbs before and after. He does amazing work. Link attached.

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/s.../mar%20xs1100/
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
    2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
    1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Wow! Those are some seriously well-cleaned and polished carburetors!
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Looks to be a very nice job done to your carbs.
      If you don't mind, what did he charge ???

Comment

Very shiny, indeed. OOOOOOO, SHINY...
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
          Looks to be a very nice job done to your carbs.
          If you don't mind, what did he charge ???

Thank you, I'm pretty stoked about it. Rick charged what I though was a very reasonable $275 to rebuild the carbs.
          2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
          2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
          1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Comment

Very nice! (but I should raise the price for the carbs I have in the for sale section )

--Nick

Comment

Any update on the carbs? Thinking of sending mine to Rick as well.
              1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
              Airbox w/K&N element
              Jardine 4 into 1
              145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
              1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
              1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

I’m not knocking anyone who has their carbs done “professionally”. Some of the guys out there do a top notch job cleaning them and R&R a few parts and maybe setting the float level.
                Just because you like to ride an old bike doesn’t mean you have to like working on them.

But the carbs will still need to be tuned for your bike, (pilot screws and sync).

The Single biggest issue I have found for guys who are new to working on old motorcycles is that they do not pay enough attention to detail or try a short cut that seems logical to them at the time.
                For me it’s more a pain to take the carbs off and put them back on than servicing them.

For leaking carbs after they have just been cleaned most of the time it’s caused by a dirty fuel tank or old fuel lines flaking off and getting caught in the float needle. In line filters help but fine particles can get past them and it only takes a tiny bit to allow gas to drip or flow out of a carb.

With no special tools you can do this in a single evening in the garage.

And while you do not have to make or have a set up like this ....
                It’s not hard to bench test the carbs to be sure they aren’t leaking.

Comment

Time is the factor for me. If I had time to tear my carbs down and go through them now I would. Job, wife, kids, roof the house, paint the breezeway, fill and seal the driveway, mow the yard, tile the bathroom, on and on and on.........I may have time in the fall/winter, but the carbs need work now, and are not high on the list. Pilot screws and sync is no problem.

Plus, I know they will be right the first time. I usually have to do things twice.....or more.
                  1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
                  Airbox w/K&N element
                  Jardine 4 into 1
                  145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                  1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                  1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

I have re-built my own carbs before, but in this case I saw the value in a professional who has the tools, ultrasonic cleaning, and deals with these carbs all the time doing the work. My carbs are now in better than new condition and that has value to me.
                    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
                    2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
                    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
                    1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Comment

Wonder if you can guess what I do for a living

Comment

If you have more money than time and want it done by others, then by all means do. I personally find I enjoy wokring on the bike almost as much as riding it. But do beware, there are many folks who have had "pros" work on their carbs only to find they broke stuff and screwed them up worse than before any one had touched them. And yes, that goes for dealerships as well. Most of the folks working at dealerships have never seen a carb in person and have no idea how these work.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Just wanted to put my .02 on this subject. Rick has done two (2) sets of carbs for me and he does fantastic work. Very professional, prompt and honest through all of my communication with him.

Before coming across Rick, I had the worst experience ever with a "so-called" carb expert (btw, not speaking of MRO), so please do not confuse him with my bad experience. Some people give others bad names and it sounds like Rick West and MRO are some guys "we can" count on to do a professional job!
                          Thanks
                          Jamie

Comment

[QUOTE= (btw, not speaking of MRO), so please do not confuse him with my bad experience. Some people give others bad names and it sounds like Rick West and MRO are some guys "we can" count on to do a professional job!
                            Thanks
                            Jamie[/QUOTE]

Yup, better watch that mro guy lol

Not many XSes in the Bay Area.
                            I probably have more in my garage than there are left here.
                            Last couple "side jobs" I've done were on other bikes, one a 650 Night Hawk and one a week or so ago was getting a S&S Ultra 117 cu in running.
                            (4 1/8" pistons and 4 1/8" stroke )

Only for XS riders do I allow them to help when I work on their bikes so they learn as we go. They I work for free, but when I do everything I charge a little less for XSes than Hardleys and others.

Comment

Well, I worked on the bike all weekend. Got the carbs on and it's absolutely poring fuel out the air box. Obviously a stuck float or somesuch. I'll send Rick an email and see what he thinks. I can't bring myself to tear it down again this weekend.
                              2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
                              2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
                              1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
                              1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Comment

Working...
                              X