Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody tried fitting brakes from XJR1300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody tried fitting brakes from XJR1300?

Has anyone looked at the 4 piston brakes on the XJR1300 to see if they can be adapted to the 1100?

Maybe a fork swap? I think it would definitely take the whole trees - I know someone in the past had swapped an FJ fork into the XS.

Just thinking...

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

I think Crazy Steve has adapted 4 piston Harley calipers to his FJ fork setup. I've done the FJ fork swap but retained the XS calipers. Maybe I'll upgrade them someday, but not anytime soon.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The Harley 4-piston calipers are a fairly easy swap, with the biggest obstacle being the thickness of the XS rotors. One big advantage they have is cost; they can be gotten pretty cheaply if you shop (I got a like-new pair complete w/pads for $50) and rebuild parts are also cheap, which may not be the case with metric parts. Here's the thread...
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=Brake+upgrade

The bike I'm installing these on is still in parts, so I can't say how much better they are, but with a near-50% increase in pad area, there's bound to be an improvement..
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...