No Spark, Rewired Handle controls, and changed stator coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark, Rewired Handle controls, and changed stator coil

My 1980 xs1100 Special has absolutely no spark, but it was running fine before i did my modifications. i did a fork swap with a suzuki gsxr 1000 and used the controls for the gsxr. all my lights and the starter work i just have no spark. is there any wiring going through the headlight or hand controls that might have been left out preventing me from getting any spark to the cylinders? also i changed out my stator because the tack would die out and wouldnt charge the battery, could there be something here that i did wrong?

Originally posted by Justindrider View Post
    My 1980 xs1100 Special has absolutely no spark, but it was running fine before i did my modifications. i did a fork swap with a suzuki gsxr 1000 and used the controls for the gsxr. all my lights and the starter work i just have no spark. - - -
    Hi Justin,
    if all the lights work you did something wrong because the headlight should only come on when the engine starts.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

for some reason every since i have owned the bike my headlight has come on with the key, i read on some posts about a switch that kicks it on, where is it and what is it for that matter, thanks for the reply btw

Comment

jat
        have u wired the kill switch the correct way?
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

yes, just the two red white wires from the plug to the switch... is that not right?

Comment

The headlight coming on only after the bike is started is due to a relay. The relay is pulled in when the alternator starts putting out juice, it completes the circuit of power to the headlight. The relay is over top of the ignition coils at the front under the tank.

The E-stop switch is a two wire switch on the stock XS11. Two red/white wires, simply connects the two together in the RUN position.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Ok so the start/stop switch is ok, could the relay be out for the headlight?

Comment

Ok so the start/stop switch is ok, could the relay be out for the headlight?
                More likely it's been bypassed and may not even be there. In many cases when someone had trouble with the charging system so the light didn't come on they would just bypass that system to have a headlight, not bothering to fix the REAL problem. Then later when the battery died, fix the charging problem but don't put the headlight relay back.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Im still confused why I dint have any spark

Comment

Are the Suzuki controls wired the same way? Different manufacturers use different methods of operating, so you may not have 'matching' components.
                    If the Suzuki kill switch works the same way, you should be ok, but it may not. Check the red/white wires going to the handlebar controls wherever you spliced the new controls in; with the kill switch on 'run', you should have 12v to ground on both wires. If you don't, the problem is the switch or the connections...
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yes the Suzuki controls are the same switch on and switch off with two wires, I can turn it to the off position and nothing will happen, and in the on position the starter works and turns over

Comment

i did a fork swap with a suzuki gsxr 1000 and used the controls for the gsxr.
                        You got any pix?
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I will post em up when I get home

Comment

You really need to check for voltage at the two red/white wires; also check at the TCI at the white/red wire.

Keep in mind that the starter buttons may be wired different too. Some bikes switch 12v + through the starter buttom, the XS doesn't. The starter button on the XS actually is the ground for the solenoid. If the Suzuki controls are different, you may be grounding the solenoid through the TCI (which will allow the motor to spin) but will prevent the ignition from working; that may even damage the TCI. Try turning the bike on, 'run' switch on, but instead of using the start button, jumper the blue/white wire at the solenoid to ground to spin the motor. If the bike then starts, that's probably your problem. If that proves true, you'll have to rewire the start button if you can...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ok the way it used to be wired fir the start switch is the blue/white to black for the starter, I also found out that I have spark when I first hit the start button but not when it is held down.... I also have a couple of loose, unconnected wires in the headlight that im nit sure what the go to, there is a red single wire, two green wires to one connector, and two brown wires to one connected, also two blue wires to one connector, I am not using front turn signals either

Comment

Working...
                              X