Puff's of air hit my left leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puff's of air hit my left leg

I have a 79 xs1100f that I recently bought. It was runny a little rough, backfiring, and it was leaking fuel from the #3 carb when the bike was off and sitting there and when I rode it every few min you would feel a puff of air hit your left leg(around the knee area). I replaced the spark plugs and I took the #3 float bowl off and found that the main jet and washer were just floating around in the float bowl. I put it back together and made sure there was no other damage to that carb that I could see. Once everything was put back together the bike runs allot better but the puff of air still hits my leg. Please help with any information possible.
    USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
    78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Is the puff of air just when it backfires? If so, one of the vacuum caps probably blew off of a carb boot on#1 or#2 carb.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Is the puff of air just when it backfires? If so, one of the vacuum caps probably blew off of a carb boot on#1 or#2 carb.
      This makes sense because carb #2 and I think #3 is missing the vacuum caps but it is not only when it backfires. It only backfired twice since i did everything else to it. Do you know what would cause it to come out of where the carb vacuum caps go if it doesn't backfire. I will check tomorrow to see if that is where its coming out. Do you think the carbs needing to be synced would have anything to do with it?
      USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle

Comment

Originally posted by mmaddix View Post
        This makes sense because carb #2 and I think #3 is missing the vacuum caps but it is not only when it backfires. It only backfired twice since i did everything else to it. Do you know what would cause it to come out of where the carb vacuum caps go if it doesn't backfire. I will check tomorrow to see if that is where its coming out. Do you think the carbs needing to be synced would have anything to do with it?
        If you're missing caps off the carb boots it's not going to run right, you MUST have those capped off if they are not hooked up to something. A quick fix can be a short piece of vacuum hose with a screw or bolt in it to seal that off, but those vacuum barbs MUST be sealed off for the system to work properly.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          If you're missing caps off the carb boots it's not going to run right, you MUST have those capped off if they are not hooked up to something. A quick fix can be a short piece of vacuum hose with a screw or bolt in it to seal that off, but those vacuum barbs MUST be sealed off for the system to work properly.
          Thank you I will put caps on there and let you guys know how it runs.
          USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

Just a heads-up. Going back to your earlier post you asked "Do you think the carbs needing to be synced would have anything to do with it?" Putting the caps over the vacuum nipples will help, but your bike will still not run right if the carbs are not sync'd. Yes, it may still pull harder than anything you've ever ridden before, but wait till you get it right!
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
            X