No announcement yet.

Fuel Tank Molding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lovely job. Excellent. OEM exhaust too, I see. Beautiful bike.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      What a great looking beast. How did you get the engine looking so nice
      Thanks! The engine was fully torn down and rebuilt. The case halfs were stripped and glass bead blasted which yielded a smooth but abraded surface for the paint to grab onto. I used a high temp Dupli-color product on the case halves and middle drive followed with a clear coat. The clear unfortunately has not handled the heat even though it was designed to, so I'll be dealing with that this winter. The cylinders and heads were also glass bead blasted and painted with high temp silver paint, no clear. Most of the side covers are NOS parts, everything else is just a matter of polishing and time. All of the bolts are zinc plated. I found a local plater who took all of my bolts and hardware and plated them all for 75 bucks. Bolts that look fresh and new helps alot I think. Carbs were rebuilt, cleaned them in an ultrsonic cleaner and just polished the two outside diaphram covers. Here too, any of the linkage and hardware like the choke lever etc., was all re-plated with the bolts. Carb boots are new. Exhaust header pipes have been re-plated. Cut the welds out of #1 and 4 headers joining them to the mufflers so I could just deal with the headers. Cleaned them in ultrasonic cleaner also to get the carbon out of the insides so the plater could do his thing. Welded them back together and painted the weld with sliver high temp caliper paint. It's nice that the OEM headers are a double wall construction allowing the outside to stay a little cooler and keep the chrome nice and bright with no dis-coloration from heat.

I think that's about it!
      '78 XS1100E
      '83 XVZ12

Comment

Working...
      X