just got my 2nd XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got my 2nd XS

I just won my 2nd XS on ebay.... not sure if I want to take what I want and part the rest or chopper it. The bike is a non-running 78 complete with no title but, I could possibly get one.
    1981 xs1100 venturer... Finally runs
    Still has carb issues, but runs
    For all of your Amsoil needs go to www.mrguysoil.com

When you get it home see what it looks like in person and see if you can get it running.

Then make a decision from there. Titles for 34 year old motorcycles aren't that tough to get if the bike is worth it.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Titles for 34 year old motorcycles aren't that tough to get if the bike is worth it.
      THAT depends on where you live....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah, any west coast states are tough on motor vehicles. Not too bad here though.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well I would have to hold onto the bike for 3 years before it fell off of MN DMV books. I may just pass on it for 2 reasons.... medical bills and no title. Would have been nice, I wanted the exhaust, seat and tank for my cafe project of my 81h venturer. I don't want to wreck the originality of the bike, so I would have saved everything.
          1981 xs1100 venturer... Finally runs
          Still has carb issues, but runs
          For all of your Amsoil needs go to www.mrguysoil.com

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Yeah, any west coast states are tough on motor vehicles. Not too bad here though.
            Ca makes one jump through hoops, but as long as it doesn't show up as hot it's not generally a problem. Where it can be a problem is if it's EVER been stolen, case in point being my XS400, been mine since I bought it from the original owner, my uncle, and stolen twice. This last time after it was recovered (yes, recovered both times after 3 years) I stored it cause I just wasn't in a place to put it back on the road and ride it, and it fell out of the system, and I had LONG ago lost/thrown away all paperwork when it was stolen. Now guess what, the only thing they know about it is that at some point it was registered in my name, and that it was reported stolen, nothing else exists about it, including the police reports, which means I'm still fighting with them, but it's the principle, I'm going to get it re-registered if it's the last thing I do .
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              ....I'm going to get it re-registered if it's the last thing I do .
              Cy, I've found if you make yourself a big enough nuisance, they'll do whatever it takes to make you go away....

At least you have something hang your hat on, i.e. there's paper showing you owned it.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Cy, I've found if you make yourself a big enough nuisance, they'll do whatever it takes to make you go away....

At least you have something hang your hat on, i.e. there's paper showing you owned it.
                No paper, it didn't show in the system, until they tried to create a record, then it showed up. And on that record it showed up as having been stolen, but that I was the registered owner, BUT, not any paper, and where it was in the system didn't allow them to use that as being in the system other than to raise flags that we and I have been fighting since (to be fair they have been trying to be helpful, but they have all kinds of i's to dot and t's cross in this particular situation, and I make the mistake of telling them that I got it back in stripped condition, which made things worse as it turned out. Had I not told them that, it would likely be on the road today).
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  ...and I make the mistake of telling them that I got it back in stripped condition, which made things worse as it turned out. Had I not told them that, it would likely be on the road today).
                  Yep, that was the rock in the gears... I learned long ago not to volunteer anything

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    - - - I learned long ago not to volunteer anything
                    Hi Steve,
                    you are so right about that. I was helping my son clean out his back yard by lending him the Buick & trailer to haul the PO's (yes, houses have POs too! As bad or worse than bike POs) trash to the dump.
                    Dump Guy:- What you got?
                    Eric:- Old bricks, dirt and railroad ties.
                    Dump Guy:- We don't take railroad ties.
                    Shoulda told him scrap lumber. They take scrap lumber.
                    Fukkem!
                    They're gonna get them anyway; chainsawed into 18" lengths one piece a week in the dumpster.
                    Sorry. Had to Vent. Back to Stepka's 2nd XS. He should keep the bike, it's like money in the bank.
                    Last edited by fredintoon; 07-27-2011, 12:15 PM.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                    X