poping out of first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poping out of first

Hello. this site is awsome. i have a xs11 project and have found alot of good info. however i cannot find info on what my tranny is doing. when i first got the bike, it would pop out of first if i r ed it out too much. now it won't stay in first even to take of. all other gears work fine. any ideas??? please help!

This is a well-documented fault and this forum is filled with posts about the causes and ways to rectify it. I have not personally encountered this problem but loads of people have. Do a thread search and have a look at the technical tips section of the website. This is classic XS1100 gearbox trouble and well-known. Second gear often goes the same way. You can fix it by the 'Dremel Fix' referred to on this forum or you can still buy the gears concerned NEW. If my gears go, I'll do the latter. I've been thinking of buying the gears now, whilst they are still available. They are apparently a different design to the originals, improved and unlikely to fail in the same way again.

I hope I never know this problem too well but, based on what I've read here, I will..............
    Last edited by James England; 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

thanks. i found it now.looks easier than i thought but still a little complicated. thanks again and keep up the good work

Comment

BTW, sometimes the 'washer' swap can't be done on some engines. I've tried it three times without success on parts engines (for practice). Other people have done it easily.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
        X