Rims too heavy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rims too heavy...

Any one ever try lightening the stock rims on these beasts? The thought came into my head, maybe dilling some holes in the webbs of the spokes and maybe removing some other material from them... Might be a crazy idea but, dont plan on going XSessive and making them unsafe... just reduce unsprung weight...

Any ideas...? With a little luck, this might be the next 'oil' thread!
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Maybe it's just me but I don't think I would want one to fold up on me going down the highway. THAT would leave a mark.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

if its not broke, dont break it!
      Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
      Kerker 4/1
      stock carbs and air box.
      78 headlite, handle bars,
      1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
      crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
      78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
      94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

You're not going to be able to remove enough material to be meaningful, as most of the 'weight' in these is in the hub and rim. The tubeless front wheels are lighter than the tube versions, so if your '79 has the early tube wheel you can lose some weight by swapping. The rears are the same casting for both.

Here's a front wheel I smoothed and polished...
        [IMG][/IMG]

After all the work, the wheel was only 8-10 ounces lighter. You'll get more bang for your buck by drilling the rotors.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I would be afraid of balance issues.
          Richard
          '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Maybe it's just me but I don't think I would want one to fold up on me going down the highway. THAT would leave a mark.
            Pish posh...

Originally posted by mjpxs11sh View Post
            if its not broke, dont break it!
            If it aint broke modify it!

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            You're not going to be able to remove enough material to be meaningful, as most of the 'weight' in these is in the hub and rim. The tubeless front wheels are lighter than the tube versions, so if your '79 has the early tube wheel you can lose some weight by swapping. The rears are the same casting for both.

After all the work, the wheel was only 8-10 ounces lighter. You'll get more bang for your buck by drilling the rotors.
            Nice looking wheel Steve! I was just considering removing that web on the ID of the rim between the spokes and blending in the casting lines. Might consider some thru holes inbetween the webs of the spokes just for looks, probably only like 3 or so, IDK... the main goal isnt weight savings, just to have a custom look...

Thanks!
            Last edited by WMarshy; 07-23-2011, 09:22 AM.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by XSive Okie View Post
              Shouldnt be that bad, nothing that cant be balanced with normal amounts of tire weight.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by XSive Okie View Post
                Trust me, that won't be an issue; the factory castings are far from being 'precision'. I found variations in the rim thickness of up to .1" and the front wheel had a obvious heavy spot. This can be addressed when you balance the tire/rim assembly...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                  the main goal isnt weight savings, just to have a custom look...
                  Yep, you'll definitely get a custom look if your wheel collapses at 90mph. Or did you mean a custom look for the bike?
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    Yep, you'll definitely get a custom look if your wheel collapses at 90mph. Or did you mean a custom look for the bike?
                    The bike.

Like I said, highly doubt the structrual integrity of the wheel will be compromised. I could draw it in cad and do some FEA on it to make sure though.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

Nice looking wheel Steve! I was just considering removing that web on the ID of the rim between the spokes and blending in the casting lines. Might consider some thru holes inbetween the webs of the spokes just for looks, probably only like 3 or so, IDK... the main goal isnt weight savings, just to have a custom look...

Thanks!
                      Thanks... Keep in mind this was a god-awful amount of work (I'll never admit how long this took, but this will likely be the only set I ever do...) as these are very rough castings and the 'register' between the two mold halves wasn't all that good either. If you decide to attempt this, get yourself some 'aluminum' files (yes, there is a difference) as regular files and die grinder bits will clog quickly. I found that spraying the die grinder burrs with WD40 helps...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                        Thanks... Keep in mind this was a god-awful amount of work (I'll never admit how long this took, but this will likely be the only set I ever do...) as these are very rough castings and the 'register' between the two mold halves wasn't all that good either. If you decide to attempt this, get yourself some 'aluminum' files (yes, there is a difference) as regular files and die grinder bits will clog quickly. I found that spraying the die grinder burrs with WD40 helps...
                        Thanks for the tips! And, yes I did know aluminum clogs regular files but I didn't realize they had special ones for it, great news. I might see if I can get access to a rotary table on a vertical mill, would make quick work of the bulk material removal!
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

Comment

The bike.

Like I said, highly doubt the structrual integrity of the wheel will be compromised. I could draw it in cad and do some FEA on it to make sure though.
                          That would be good. I've always felt uneasy about those spiral-ly casted wheels that they use on some XS1100's.... I had them on an XJ750 and always wondered why they didn't collapse. They were supposed to break up in an accident in order to absorb some of the shock, I believe. I was always a bit careful about going up kerbs and down potholes with them..... They look a lot flimsier than a standard XS1100 wheel with a few holes in it.....
                          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Steve, are you running those rims on anything at the moment? I kind of wanted to do that over winter but never did.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                              Steve, are you running those rims on anything at the moment? I kind of wanted to do that over winter but never did.
                              Nope, they're waiting for the next-in-line project. As soon as I get the SG painted and sold, that one's up next....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                              X