Working on brakes.(front)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on brakes.(front)

I have been unable to get my front brakes to work. Replaced calipers but can not get any pressure to build up. Pistons do not move. Cant find a leak and bleeding them is useless. Can someone offer any help?
    PapaJoe
    79 XS 1100f ( lil' mule )
    79 XS 1100sf
    79 XS 1100 project/parts bike

Are you even getting pressure to bleed the brakes? I would say if you replaced the calipers already then the problem lies in the master cylinder.

I should also add that you should put your bike info. in your sig or at the minimum in your post so people know what you're talking about.
    1980 XS1100G
    -4:2 exhaust
    -Pods
    -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Sorry, First post. The bike is a 1979 xs1100f. Checked the master cylinder and cant see any thing wrong. Fluid gets to the calipers but pressure does not move the pistons. It seems that all the air is out but still no action.
      PapaJoe
      79 XS 1100sf

Comment

A little more info....

Why did you replace the calipers? Did you disassemble/clean them? Have you done anything to the master cylinder? You can't tell if that's good just by looking, it really needs to be pulled apart.

The brakes on these are noted for not doing well from neglect, so you might just want to pull the calipers and master and disassemble/clean them. You may not even need rebuild kits; more often than not, simply cleaning them out thoroughly will fix any problems.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks for the advice, will pull and disassemble the master tomorrow. As for as why I replaced the calipers, the pistons were stuck. How do you repair that?
          PapaJoe
          79 XS 1100sf

Comment

Originally posted by papajoe View Post
            Thanks for the advice, will pull and disassemble the master tomorrow. As for as why I replaced the calipers, the pistons were stuck. How do you repair that?
            Pop them out and clean them.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X