No Freakin way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Freakin way!

I finally fot the float and needle valve. Installed in bike. Blocked off vacuum line and both forward petcock nipples. Turned petcock to reserve and fuel began flowing through the new inline valves and into the carbs. had a few leaks that were fixed by tapping on the float bowls. Wipe all fuel off and let it sit for about 1.5 hars while i ate dinner and spent time with the honey. Went back out and the airbox was toatally dry!
    Changed out the oil with new. 3 quarts in. Fired it up with the choke and BI
    NGO! We have ignition! The bike was spewing smoke out of the exhaust. I looked at the carb airbox and an oil/gas mix was flowing out of it. I looked at the exhaust and it was throwing out oil. the airbox has a gas smell to it, the exhaust does not.
    I am at a lost of what has happened to my cruiser. Any tips, input, suggestions? I am truely frustrated now! 1 step forward and 3 steps back!
    1980 XS1100 SG

Did you put new O-rings on the seats when you had them out? Your bike is an 80 Standard correct?
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I just replaced jets on the lower part of the carbs. I have the 1980 Special.
      1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

An 80 Special is an SG, checked your profile and I thought it said "G". I would check to see if your floats are hanging up on the bowl gaskets. Those wire clips on the float needles will also get jammed up if the floats fall too low. There is a adjusting tang near the float post to correct this. HTH
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

When i put in new float seats I trimmed the gaskets to the face of the bowl so there would not be any overhanging gasket material.I don't think that is the problem. I let it sit overnight and no fuel leaked out through the air box. that was a problem before.
          The oil level is good. no fuel in the oil. Took out the spark plugs and they were very oily but no gas smell on them at all. pulled vent tube and blew through it to the airbox. It is not plugged.
          When I changed the oil to get the gas out there was only about a quart that came out with the oil filter. should have been more i would think. Is there somewhere in the lower part of the motor that can hold oil and not allow it to drain when the oil filter is pulled?
          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Draining oil

Removing the oil filter will not drain the oil from the pan. Sounds like you filled the bike with too much oil. Remove the drain plug and try again.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Yeah as stated the drain plug needs to be removed as well.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by JoesN68 View Post
                When I changed the oil to get the gas out there was only about a quart that came out with the oil filter. should have been more i would think. Is there somewhere in the lower part of the motor that can hold oil and not allow it to drain when the oil filter is pulled?
                ???????????????????????????????????

There is a service manual download available . But what fun is that? Cause it has silly answers to things like this.And other trivia.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

I am a serious bumb a**! Yep, you guys are correct. I was soo focused on my carb problem that I neglected to remove the oil pan. Change the oil and filter and drained the oil pan. About 8 quarts came pouring out. I can't believe i was that stupid. It is running good right now with the proper amount of oil in it. still have a little smoke but I think that will burn off. I may need to repack my exhaust. There is oil all around the exhaust outlet. And as a bonus, the carbs are still not leaking fuel! I amy take it to get it inspected today. I am warming it up and shutting it off to try and burn the oil out but not overheat the motor.
                  Planedick thank you for the comment, it made me realize my mistake!
                  As soon as i get it registered i will do the carb sync.
                  1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

How difficult is it to replace the sight glass for the oil. I think that may have contributed to my mistake.
                    1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

No need to replace it, they can be cleaned with a little effort. It requires removing the engine clutch cover... the good news is that you can do it without draining your oil again! If your going to take that cover off you might as well invest in a new set of Barnett HD clutch springs and replace them while your in there. Springs are less than $30 and are notorious for causing clutch slip. Just FYI. GL!
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Oil pan

You said you neglected to remove the oil pan. It isn't necessary to remove the oil pan. There is a plug to remove to take out the used oil. Also the sight glass is only used when the bike is on the centerstand on a level surface. There have been those that filled it up to the level line on the sidestand, which is a huge overfill.
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Sight glass

Sight glass is easy to replace and still available.
                          78 XS1100E Standard
                          Coca Cola Red
                          Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Working...