Went with the Spitfire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went with the Spitfire!

Can't beat the price. Enough positive comments to give it a try. Anyway will have it mounted in the morning.
    Question is....... Do I have to strip the rear wheel down to just the rim for tire dismounting/mounting or can I leave it as is with the inner cover part of the FD and what looks like bearings etc.. and the disk rotor on the other side? I am taking it to a bike shop to have it mounted and balanced.

Last edited by Nubian; 07-20-2011, 09:34 PM.
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
    Can't beat the price. Enough positive comments to give it a try. Anyway will have it mounted in the morning.
    Question is....... Do I have to strip the rear wheel down to just the rim for tire dismounting/mounting or can I leave it as is with the inner cover part of the FD and what looks like bearings etc.. and the disk rotor on the other side? I am taking it to a bike shop to have it mounted and balanced.

Also this piece fell out during tire removal and i'm not sure where it goes yet.

BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

They should be able to mount the tire with everything in place. And that spacer goes between the cast aluminum caliper mount and the steel caliper bracket.

I'd wipe all that excess grease out of there too...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        They should be able to mount the tire with everything in place. And that spacer goes between the cast aluminum caliper mount and the steel caliper bracket.

I'd wipe all that excess grease out of there too...
        Merci, plan to xscessively wipe clean,who knows when that was last done, any suggestions as to how to check bearings or just replace them?
        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Merci, plan to xscessively wipe clean,who knows when that was last done, any suggestions as to how to check bearings or just replace them?
          All of them are sealed except for the bearing at the spline drive (and that one is hard to find), so I'd just check them for smooth turning and not worry about it if they turn good. You'll destroy them when removing; they're generally good for 80K miles plus...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            All of them are sealed except for the bearing at the spline drive (and that one is hard to find),
            Actually, these bearings are currently listed on eBay for sale. Eight available at present.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
            Last edited by James England; 07-21-2011, 04:17 AM.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              Actually, these bearings are currently listed on eBay for sale. Eight available at present.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
              Got one of those already, thanks to you . Wanted two but funds are low.
              BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Got one of those already, thanks to you . Wanted two but funds are low.
                If you PM me, I could do free postage for you...would that help?
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                X