Base gasket basics; It's cylinder time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base gasket basics; It's cylinder time

I'm going to be putting the cylinders on tomorrow, a friend is coming over to help hold one side of the cylinder while I hold the other & we'll wiggle the pistons into the cylinders. I was going to forego the base gasket and use anaerobic sealant but since the head had to be planed .005 to make it right, I'm going to put the base gasket in so as not to be concerned with piston-valve interference.

I have on hand to put on the base gasket; Anaerobic sealant and black RTV. I hope to never have to take the cylinders off again but never say never, eh? so since it is going to be done tomorrow, what would be a good method to attach that gasket?

I'm thinking of putting a thin layer of Black RTV on both sides of the base gasket and then having at the pistons & cylinders.

Next issue will be the head gasket.

Progress! It's officially on the installation side of the hump!
    Last edited by KA1J; 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

If using the gasket, I'd use 2-3 heavy coats of cheap silver or aluminum paint. The aluminum pigment will act as a sealer and it won't glue to gasket to everything, so if at some later date you need to pull the cylinder, it'll come off easier...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The paint trick works well. Also, a bit of Copper Coat works well too since it will not bind the gasket to any surfaces.

But if using a gasket I would limit the RTV to the area around where the jugs go into the aluminum cylinders. You know, the place where that thin red o-rings that comes in the gasket sets goes. That o-ring is intended to stop oil from wanting to migrate up the walls of the cylinders where it could seep out under high crank case pressures.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

If it's not too late... the Clymers manual gives the dimensions of a wooden piston holder you can easily make to hold the piston upright and steady when sliding the cylinders on... they also use a hose clamp to compress the rings.. Good luck!
        When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

I'm going to be having at them, in about an hour. Don't have a Clymers, I only have the factory manual. I'll get them in there, it'll just be a hassle with the pistons rocking to squirm out.

Closer, closer...

Almost done...
          82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

No problem

I've put pistons back in the cylinders before without a ring comprssser. The jugs have a champher on the bottom. Just hold the ring with your fingers and rock the piston back and forth while pushing into the cylinder and it will go in easier than you think.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...