Oil rings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil rings...

OK, my XS puffs out gobs of smoke... when it runs on #3 and #4...
    When I had the bike apart, a few oil rigs were stuck.... got em unstuck and cleaned everything the best I could. But it seems they got stuck again... at least the pots seemed nice the last time I had the cyl head off...
    So, how to get em unstuck without disassembling everything?
    I noticed somewhere that automatic transmission oil should do the trick... any ideas?
    I got another set of pistons and cyls from a guy for free, since they were in a poor state.... I stuck those in diesel, some of the oil rigs loosened up, but not all of them. So I figured, I pull off the oil pan, put a big pot under there and pour ??? into the cylinders?

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

by the way, sorry guys, didnt have much time to visit the forum lately... got a (rather bad) job and have little time to check things out.... On the up side, more cash for fixing up the eleven.
    If whatever doesnt work with oil consumption, I'd need some pointers on how to preserve oil seals and bearings in the engine... since the bike will sit for a while longer (a year or two).

LP

Comment

Was it you that installed the Wiseco rebuilt kit? If you just rebuilt the engine, I have my fingers crossed for you. Good luck in seating those rings, what ever you do!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Nope, no kit yet, but if you send me one, I'll put it in

Comment

I hear ya Strom

Can you send me one of those kits too PLEASE.....lol
          Terry O'Donnell
          81SH "BullDozer"
          Holy Riders Motorcycle Ministries
          [URL]www.holyriders.com[/URL]
          [URL]www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HRMC/[/URL]

Comment

I found my oil level was rising a bit... from the maximum to almost over the window... not so dense as it used to be, so I suspect gas in the oil.... drained the sump, gonna do the filter too, get new oil in and see what happens...
            Luckily nothing seized.

LP

Comment

OK, after a while....
              Got new petcock rebuild kits, carb kits, installed em, fresh oil and filter, carbs dialed-in, fuel levels set, new valve seals, new head, valvecover seals, cams are in sync, .....
              Compression on cyls:

(should be 9.1, as in tech specs)

Did bout 50 miles, the bike started to hesitate when accelerating, I checked the mirrors and yes, there it was... gobs of smoke behind me. So I said fu*k it, into the 2nd, to the redline, still smoke, maybe not so much, and it felt like running on 3 cyls.... not a good idea being 15 miles from home. The bike idled OK (?!?!?), but smoked a lot. Bout 0.2l of oil had to be added.
              Also, there is a tapping noise (not that loud) when some load is put to the engine... taking off, accelerating, but in neutral it's gone.

So... I guess it's wiseco time and maybe conrod bearings/crankshaft replacement time. I got new crank bearings.

So... since the wiseco and bearings would get me to bout 1000$, a bit more with the crank... I think I'm gonna try to get me another ride. Or another engine. The engine block is busted on the left lower side, cosmetic, but I still don't like it. Oil leaking through crank oil seal, no idea why.

Any ideas on cheap stuff that works? Has to work 15-20kkm, then it can blow up for all I care.
              And no, I won't add oil every 60 miles.

LP

Comment

Strom, sounds like your bike's getting a bit shagged mate. Might be time to move to something nice and sensible such as a GN125 or a CB110.

Comment

Probbably.... saving up for a MG LM or sth... maybe a GPZ 900 or VFR 750 or.... LOL

LP

Comment

OK guys, an alternative...
                    I sent an email to wiseco, whether there are any dealers in yurp.
                    If so, I'm OK... if not...
                    *sigh*....
                    Some of my SWMBOs family are comming here from cleveland, ohio...
                    Any dealers there or at least members around there that could get some info or something?
                    I figure... I like 1200.... and... I just got new Lucas brake pads.... gotta try em out.

LP

Comment

Hey there Strom,

Here's the link to the Pro-Flo shop in Fla that sells those kits. Perhaps they could get one mail ordered to them in Chicago and then bring it with them!?

Pro-Flo for Wiseco kits

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Strom, Wiseco is located in Mentor, Oh. Web site is wisco.com. They are expensive though. $441 for the 1179cc kit. I bought mine from an indy shop for $350.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                          Hey there Strom,

Here's the link to the Pro-Flo shop in Fla that sells those kits. Perhaps they could get one mail ordered to them in Chicago and then bring it with them!?

Pro-Flo for Wiseco kits

T.C.
                          Just may happen... at 360 or something....
                          Gotta see what they gotta say.

LP

Comment

Working...
                          X