No announcement yet.

Finally a BETTER gear ratio...MAYBE????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a BETTER gear ratio...MAYBE????

Well it started when I was reading thrue the archives of old magazine articles on this site. I was reading HOT ROD's UP ON TWO WHEELS article about the XS1100 E. In this write-up they made a reference to the way Yamaha improved the acceleration of the 750e vs the 750d by giving it lower gearing which they used on the 1100. That sent my mind to-reeling.....countless dudes have wrote in begging for higher ratio gears and it would seem as tho no-one has ever found any. (untill now????).
    Well I went staight to GOOGLE to find the triple site. Man I tried EVERYTHING that my feeble mind could imagine with no luck. I figured they must have died off. So I posted a thread and asked if anyone knew it and went to bed. I could see this morning MITCH answered my thread!!! Ha, I read every thread but that one just to savor what I hoped to find untill last.
    Then I tried the link....and it showed....nothing.
    Then I realized Mitch had left his name on the link....so I tried it manually and WALLAAAAAA!!!!!!
    What I found was their site is pretty good. I began my search and found an old article from a '76 CYCLE magazine and sure-enuff they say the 750d had 32 ring gear teeth and 11 on the pinion about a 2:91 to 1 ratio!!!!!!!!!!!! (the XS11 is 3:26 to 1)
    In several places on the triple site they make references to the 750e and newer bikes being able to DUST the 750d in the 1/4 mile.....like they all just know this crap!!!
    Well I can tell you guys one thing for sure If you got an old junk 1977 750 triple hunk of junk rusting away in your backyard it just got a LOT more valuable!!! (which I just so happen to have even tho I'm not sure of the year)
    Now for the big question? Is this for real? Do those pieces really interchange? Were those people writing those magazines F.O.S.? Has everyone on this site been asleep considering I found the first statement right here on our own site?
    Well I say....If it is true none of that matters from now on.
    JUST IMAGINE......more top end......better gas mileage.....less engine wear and noise(all at the expense of slower 1/4 mile times....like I give a crap) for very little cash and OEM YAMAHA!!!
    Hell... guys... if I'm dreaming wake me up and I can take Global-wide criticizm. If not.....then this can make a huge difference to a lot of people..... maybe even enuff to make some people to fall in love with their baby all over again. CHECK IT OUT
    Now I'm thinking what else could we be missing... hmmm......
    Garry
    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
    outbackweld@charter.net

Sorry guys... amidst all the excitement I posted this in the wrong spot. Hopefully the computer gods will have mercy on me and put where it belongs! (even tho these parts do come from "other bikes")
    Garry
    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

OK I moved it for you
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks dude you're sooo good....and fast too!!!
        Garry
        '79 SF "Battle Cat"
        outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

I also belong to the triples group (note the XS750F in my signature. I was gonna reply but Mitch was able to help.

I'll ask the tripplers if the early rear ends interchange with the later bikes. I would wonder if the 750 gears would be stout enough for the 1100. I'm sure someone wanting the benefits of the taller gearing would not have a 'lead hand'.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

When I worked for Yamaha many years ago I remember changing out the Middle Driven Gear (ref. no. 32 on the transmission parts fish xs750d) Changed from 34T to 35T. I remember having to wait 3 weeks for the end plug. Customer was so impatiance that he had me drive an automotive freeze plug in its place.
            The Middle Drive gear did not change until F model (30T) and again in 850 models to (31T).

Back then no one thought abought re-gearing the XS11 because "THAT WAS THE BIKE"
            Do'Lee
            XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
            (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
            (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
            (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
            SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Well I scoped out my 750 and according to the triple list info it is a xs750se. It was made 10/77. DANG! I just missed it!
              Garry
              '79 SF "Battle Cat"
              outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Middle drive cog

Do Lee, are these differing sized middle drive gears all interchangeable and will they slot in for a good fit? I assume the larger diameter cogs have shorter teeth on them? Any big hassles involved?

Comment

I'm picking that the turbo xs11 might of had taller gearing - does anyone know?

Comment

Personally I have not worked on an XS 11's transmission yet, I did some big bore kits and assisted on one turbo job, but hadn't had any transmission failures or anyone thinking about changing or trying to change different gear ratios.
                    I went to the yamaha triple site and looked at the 76 cycle mag. article on the bike. The gears that I was exchanging were the middle drive and middle driven gears. If I remember correctly this gear change out was to increase the RPMs on the 750s. I don't think these are the gears that fusionking was refering to. I don't think they are interchangeable with the XS11s. After reading this article I realized that he was probably refering to the replacement of the middle gear ass'y for the 32 to 11 ring and pinion ratio. Don't know if the 750 middle gear ass'y and the 1100s are interchangeable . Might just have to go to my cycle juke shop and see if they have a junked 750.

The 750e models is when the changes took place with the middle and rear drive. Look on the ass'y to verify type I or type II on the middle and rear drives.
                    DoLee
                    Do'Lee
                    XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                    (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                    (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                    (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                    SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Thanks Do Lee, will strip my spare gearbox for a look-see and check out those middle drive and middle driven cogs - may be able to get alternative cogs machined. Fusion, any idea if your xs750 middle box is xs11 compatible?

Comment

I was looking at a used XV920, not the virago, the one that had the upright sitting position but had the same engine. It was called the TR1 in Europe. Anyway, the problem with those bikes was that they were geared for the 55 mph speed limit. So I started looking at some European websites about how to change its gearing. I remember reading that you could swap a Vmax gear in it to change the gearing. I wonder if you could do the same with the XS11? The Vmax gear should still be available from Yamaha.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the drive sprocket for the chain, because I think the Vmax is shaft drive. I believe it was a pinion gear. I was interested in an XV920 because someone passed my car on the highway on one, and it had a really great sound. It was a really interesting looking bike too.

It has been a while since I read that so don't take it as gospel, but I am fairly certain that I am remembering it correctly.

Comment

gear change

I do have an old triple with the 32/11 ring and pinon and though they look the same they are a little differen't. The triple has the shaft attached to the pinon coupler, the 1100 has the shaft still in the swing arm. The coupler has to be switched. The coupler of the 1100 needs to be put on the housing of the triple as i can see so far. But I'm going to take another look a little closer to make sure both housings are the same.

Comment

gear change 2

sorry guys the triple gears will not work.. Even if you got the ring switched the pinon is slightly longer in the 1100 cause the coupler is a little differen't. But nice try!!! Keep looking maybe some other bike will work. Other than that, live with what you got. Still better than new bikes and still faster thn most.....

Comment

Working...
                            X