1980 XS1100SG slow start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS1100SG slow start

Hey everyone. I just wondered if anybody out there has issues with starting. My bike sometimes has issues catching even though it's really warm out it just doesn't fire up quickly. It cranks just fine so it's not a battery issue. Does anybody know if putting a better spark plug in would help? My plugs look fine now but if some Iridium's would help it catch easier I'll upgrade to those. I know in my Honda Shadow I used to have (as well as my Dad's Shadow) Iridium plugs made a HUGE difference in ease of start and made it run much better. Not sure if these bikes would make a difference or not.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks
    1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
    1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor
    1967 Yamaha YL2C

I will reply to your question with more questions. What is your history with the bike? How long has this been going on? When was the last time the carbs were pulled and cleaned? How does it run after it does start? How does it start when fully warmed up? I am a fan of iridium plugs but they will not fix problems. Good std plugs should not cause what you describe.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

For the most part, if you give the bike the correct amount of choke/enrichment it should fire on about the first crank over or so. All of mine have. As SFER suggested, the carbs need to be cleaned and properly setup for this to happen though, as well as proper valve lash set.

Another item that greatly effects this though IS spark. There are many folks on here who have stated after upgrading their coils, and in some cases going to iridium plugs, that their bike NOW fires up on the first crank. Not sure the iridiums will work as well with the stock coils, but your not hurting anything to try it.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I have said this before and will continue to say it. Iridium plugs stay cooler than stock plugs, because of this they do not self clean well causing them to foul much easier and not clean off. So putting iridium plugs in when you are having troubles is a waste is money. If your bike is running great and you want to switch fine, but iridiums will not fix problems.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

mine does something like you explained as well. when it is cold and choked it fires up no prob. if it is hot, it fires no prob, it is when it is just warm that it gets a little tempramental. i just give it a little throttle and it will start. these are old machines that like things just so!
          testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
            I will reply to your question with more questions. What is your history with the bike? How long has this been going on? When was the last time the carbs were pulled and cleaned? How does it run after it does start? How does it start when fully warmed up? I am a fan of iridium plugs but they will not fix problems. Good std plugs should not cause what you describe.
            Well I haven't had this bike very long. I just bought it a few months ago. Everything else on the bike is very clean. I was actually really amazed how clean and well taken care of it is. So I would suspect that the carbs have been cleaned, but I am not 100% sure.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
            1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor
            1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

That's the first time I've heard that Iridium plugs run cooler... Iridium plugs allow the spark to jump the gap at a lower voltage threshold which can lead to better and cleaner running.

Everything I've known about plugs for a lifetime says it isn't the style of plug (iridium, platinum, copper, whatever), but the length of the center ceramic insulator that ultimately determines how hot or cold a plug runs. I think I said that more or less correctly...

The inside of the engine is HOT, and iridium has no effect on how hot or cool the plug runs, it's the other factors like I mentioned above. I can't see how a correct Iridium plug chosen by the heat range called for by Yamaha and stated by the plug manufacturer for any XS will burn cooler.

I can say unequivocally from a 1025 mile run over the 4th of July in my 80 SG with stock coils, stock wires with iridium plugs, they were the cleanest looking plugs I've ever seen.

I'll be persauaded otherwise by empirical data that shows they run cooler, thus causing fouling. Seems like the exact issues we always talk about in terms of poor spark, poor internal engine condition, poorly tuned carbs are still the reasons plugs foul, not the type of material in the center electrode.

Seems if they DO burn cooler, DUH, go up one heat range!
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
                That's the first time I've heard that Iridium plugs run cooler... Iridium plugs allow the spark to jump the gap at a lower voltage threshold which can lead to better and cleaner running.

Everything I've known about plugs for a lifetime says it isn't the style of plug (iridium, platinum, copper, whatever), but the length of the center ceramic insulator that ultimately determines how hot or cold a plug runs. I think I said that more or less correctly...

The inside of the engine is HOT, and iridium has no effect on how hot or cool the plug runs, it's the other factors like I mentioned above. I can't see how a correct Iridium plug chosen by the heat range called for by Yamaha and stated by the plug manufacturer for any XS will burn cooler.

I can say unequivocally from a 1025 mile run over the 4th of July in my 80 SG with stock coils, stock wires with iridium plugs, they were the cleanest looking plugs I've ever seen.

I'll be persauaded otherwise by empirical data that shows they run cooler, thus causing fouling. Seems like the exact issues we always talk about in terms of poor spark, poor internal engine condition, poorly tuned carbs are still the reasons plugs foul, not the type of material in the center electrode.

Seems if they DO burn cooler, DUH, go up one heat range!

Well said.
                if they DO burn cooler
                Nothing out there to suggest this is true
                Last edited by SFerinTEXAS; 07-15-2011, 12:24 PM.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

I've never heard anywhere that iridium plugs run cooler. I put them in my bike with the OEM coils and also later on with Dyna coils. They run fine either way. Without doubt, swapping the coils and getting rid of the ballast resistor + using iridium plugs, made my bike even better on starting and they run a nice tan brown colour all the time. An irritating little misfire I used to get disappeared entirely and I certainly wouldn't let what looks like some kind of urban myth in the making re iridium plugs stop you from using them. A better spark=better combustion=better running. As for fouling up....what fouling up? Plugs tan brown.... inside of exhaust baffles light tan brown. Instant starting. Perfect running. No misfires ever... at all.
                  Last edited by James England; 07-16-2011, 03:53 AM.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The automotive industry adopted iridium plugs for duability puposes only, not for better spark or different heat ranges (that is a function of insulating ceramic).
                    Platinum was first selected for over copper as electrode material due to better durabilty characteristics when the U.S. EPA mandated that manufacturers must warranty the catalytic converters for 8 years/80,000 miles beginning in 1996.
                    Early on it was discovered that the real world does not always match simulations, and platinum plugs DON'T last 100.000 miles as advertised by the suppliers (some folks NEVER change plugs regardless). The OEMs were getting slammed with alot of warranty expense replacing converters damaged by worn plugs.
                    By 1998 almost all auto manufacturers had switched to irridium for OE plugs because they WILL last 100,000 miles, although they cost even more, it's cheaper than relplacing converters. Irriduim just flat out erodes slower than platinum which itself erodes slower than copper.

However, if you are looking for the best spark at the plug gap as a result of the plug material you would naturally want the best electrical conductor available...copper (actually gold would be far better but unaffordable and would wear out in no time). But frankly, true copper electrode plugs are increasingly hard to find as the price of copper has risen faster than gasoline and still suffers from low durability/high erosion issues.

I've personally seen a set of standard copper plugs go almost 70,000 miles before the customer's vehicle was undrivable, but the average best is 40,000 miles, on the flipside I've seen irriuims at 180,000+ miles before the plugs themselves were causing running issues.
                    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                      ...However, if you are looking for the best spark at the plug gap as a result of the plug material you would naturally want the best electrical conductor available...copper (actually gold would be far better but unaffordable and would wear out in no time)...
                      Gold is actually a rather mediocre conductor; among the common metals, the one that ranks better than copper is silver. You'll find silver contacts in a lot of heavy-duty relays and/or relays where contact failure would be bad. Gold became popular because of it's decent conductivity coupled with it's excellent corrosion resistance compared to copper or silver. Another metal is 'german silver', actually a copper/nickel/zinc alloy, that has been used because that while it corrodes like silver or copper, it's oxide is more conductive...
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If the ambient temp is high (like it has been here in Oklahoma for about a month now...100º+ daily) he fuel in the carbs tends to evaporate and fill the airbox with fumes causing a flooding effect if the bike sits for a short but not to short period of time. Let it set for 20 or 30 minutes or just a very few minutes and it will start right up. But, in between there is where the problem occurs. If it's hot out just a little throttle when starting will take care of the problem.

These bikes are CARBURETED not fuel injected like most people here are used to. Carbs have thier flaws and us old timers know how to finess them under different circumstances.

Carburetion is just that way.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

+1 on the fuel in the float bowls being low when the engine has stood warm.

So, turn the petcocks on to Prime for a few seconds before warm starting.

Also, when cols and using choke do not twist the throttle until the engine catches, opening the throttle during cold starting reduces the vacuum needed to pull the richened mixture thru.
                          Brian
                          XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                          Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                            Gold is actually a rather mediocre conductor; among the common metals, the one that ranks better than copper is silver. You'll find silver contacts in a lot of heavy-duty relays and/or relays where contact failure would be bad. Gold became popular because of it's decent conductivity coupled with it's excellent corrosion resistance compared to copper or silver. Another metal is 'german silver', actually a copper/nickel/zinc alloy, that has been used because that while it corrodes like silver or copper, it's oxide is more conductive...
                            Touche' Steve! However I was only trying to ease the testosterone levels surrounding irridium by using the "follow the dollar" logic, and not trying to instigate a thread on alchemy
                            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Working...
                            X