No announcement yet.

Alpha tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Spitfire is load range C. It isn't enough for my 230 lbs, pillion rider, saddle bags, and trunk full of junk. I have Spitfires on a XS650, and have no issue with performance. As I recall, Spitfire is 8-10 lbs lighter than the GT501, which is load range B. Spirited riding on these mountain roads probably compounds the problem. Beyond that, I have no issue with the Spitfire's performance.

After an internet search, it becomes apparent that the S11 has similar load capacity to the GT501-E3. HMMMM. Still, when I tried it on the 11, it seems I was chewing it up in a hurry. So much so, that I took it off and installed it on the lighter motorcycle. I do like the price!

I agree on tire choice. If we all used our motorcycle the same way, there would only need to be one tire.

My cousin has E3 on his GoldWing. I can't keep up with him in the twisties.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The Dunlops are known for long wear but poor traction, particularly in the wet. The Sportster list I'm on, almost no one uses Elites for just that reason. The MEs are very well thought of, but like Cy said, it's all a matter of trade-offs. Personally, I've had 'slip' issues with 'rocklops' on dry pavement if trying to corner-carve, so I won't run them anymore.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The Dunlops are known for long wear but poor traction