LED Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Lights

I just want to make sure I am correct in my thinking on this.

By the battery is the flasher for the hazard.
    By the fuse box is the flasher for the normal left/right signal.

So to add LED signals you need a 2 prong no load flasher for the hazards to flash properly. You need a 3 prong no load flasher for the signals, left/right to flash properly.

Am I correct?

Thanks all,
    Ozz
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

No, 2 prong no load flasher for both. The only 3 prong flasher that will work is the Yamaha flasher and it will not work with LEDs unless you add load equalizers which kinda destroys the reason for using them.

You WILL lose auto cancel. I'm working on a mod for that, but I'm not getting ANY signals out of my auto cancel unit and I'm troubleshooting that, I'm pretty sure it's not the cancel unit as we tried Scott's (3phase's) spare when he stopped by with no change. I think it's a wiring problem so I gotta trace and troubleshoot the wiring.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks Cy!

I just fixed my auto canceler on mine. I had a bad reed switch at the speedometer.

I am guessing you are running the LEDs. What flasher did you use? I have been looking around. Nothing local so I am going to have to order one on the interweb. I have seen them from $10.00 to $40.00, kinda odd since they are much the same specs from what I can tell.

1980 XS 1100SG
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
        Thanks Cy!

I just fixed my auto canceler on mine. I had a bad reed switch at the speedometer.

I am guessing you are running the LEDs. What flasher did you use? I have been looking around. Nothing local so I am going to have to order one on the interweb. I have seen them from $10.00 to $40.00, kinda odd since they are much the same specs from what I can tell.
        I haven't gone to LEDs yet, but I got tired of trouble with my stock flasher so I put an electonic flasher from the auto parts store in. I don't know if it will handle the low LED load, but it claimed it would, and was like $8 or so. We will see, since I can't get the yellow bulbs locally I have to order them online, and I try to avoid that, and it's not been high enough on the food chain yet to get them ordered.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I used a standard electronic flasher with my LED conversion and it works just fine with the caveat of keeping the turn indicator bulbs incandesent, they provide enough load to satisfiy the flasher. When I had the LEDs in the indicator lamp sockets I had to add 300 ohm resistors to the circuits to get it to flash, but found the indicators were just too dim to see in full daylight with LEDs, so I swapped them back to bulbs and ditched the resistors. So now the only incans I have are the turn indicators and the headlamp.
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I ordered a electronic flasher specifically for LEDs. I also might have found a fix for the cancel unit to work. I will report once I have all the parts.

1980 XS 1100SG
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Hey Ozz,

I've been busy these past few weeks with both a "net" access of the site, my IP being blocked for some reason, as well as working on several other friends computers, etc.!

There IS a flasher unit that is made by an Xsive that will work for LEDS "AND" maintain the self cancelling feature. You'll still need the electronic 2 prong for your 4 way flashers, so you haven't wasted any money, but I'll be getting a tech tip/Advert put together for the homemade LED/self cancelling turn flasher. ELDR is the fellow that makes these, you can probably PM him, and ask him if he has some, I think I remember him telling me that he had 10 or so of them, and he/we need some folks to get a few of these to provide more road testing and then testimonials on their performance, so that he can then provide them in the Parts for sale by members sticky thread! I used his on mine, but I don't have the OEM Speedo/reed switch, so I couldn't attest to the self cancelling feature, but it worked great for the turn signals...and I also use the Incandescent dash indicators!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Computers can be fun

Thanks for the info T.C. I will get a hold of ELDR and get some more info form him.

1980 XS 1100SG
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Working...
                X