80 XS1100 main jet sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 XS1100 main jet sizes?

I have a 1980 XS1100SG and I noticed the parts list shows for the main jets 2 125's and 2 120's as the main jets. Yet when I took my carbs apart there were 4 110's. What is stock, What gives, I am confussed. Thanks.

Originally posted by vintagemcyclegu View Post
    I have a 1980 XS1100SG and I noticed the parts list shows for the main jets 2 125's and 2 120's as the main jets. Yet when I took my carbs apart there were 4 110's. What is stock, What gives, I am confussed. Thanks.
    The 110s are stock for the 1980SG.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Ditto. 110's across the board for an 80 SG.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I believe I have 110-115-115-110 in my SG. I thought it was stock.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

According to the factory manual, 110s are OEM for a SG....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I've heard in the forum over the years that some Specials in 1980 (not sure about other years?) had the 110-115-115-110 set up in the carbs from the factory, however my factory shop manual calls for 110's across the board for the Special.

At the Colorado Rally this year, 3Phase shared with me that even between the 80 Standard (G) and 80 Special (SG) the taper of the needles is different, so regardless of what jets the bike came with, the Special and the Standard have different jet sizes relative to one another to take into account the taper of the needle within the same model year. The taper affects how quickly/how much fuel is used through the main jet based upon how the needle comes out of the seat when throttle is applied. So at the same throttle opening, all things equal, the needle taper is a decided controlling factor in how the bike runs. I guess they wanted a shorter taper on the SG for more spirited acceleration (if I remember what 3Phase said) and the G has a longer taper which would lead to more smoothness as the throttle is being manipulated. Hope I didn't get that backwards...

From what I hear, the old addage of a larger jet in the middle cylinders is not doing much if anything to cool the engine down appreciably, as that is the main reason I have always heard for going with the larger jets in the middle.

Anyway, just what I was told, and it makes sense.

3Phase, you out there? Lend a buddy a hand?
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Bones, you got it right on the head!

As far as I can tell, Yamaha went lean and mean for the stoplight/bar hopper Specials for fast acceleration and power at the expense of some engine life but went richer for the long-haul Standards so they didn't burn up engines.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks for the assist, wasn't sure if I my oxygen depleted brain remembered correctly, as we were standing at closing in on 10,000 feet of elevation having that discussion...
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
                  Thanks for the assist, wasn't sure if I my oxygen depleted brain remembered correctly, as we were standing at closing in on 10,000 feet of elevation having that discussion...
                  Yeah, but it was fun, wasn't it!

I think my XS did better at that elevation than I did but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The engine, carburetion and final drive never gave me a lick of trouble and after Lizard Head there was -- Trout Lake!
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

and after Lizard Head there was -- Trout Lake!
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

My bad, I didn't ignore the first post about trout lake, just LMAO for a minute then forgot to respond...

Some MIGHTY fine trout at that lake...
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                      X