Help! Can't read engine oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Can't read engine oil level

Just bought a very clean, low mileage 1979 XS1100f, but the oil level "window" is so clouded, or scratched, that I can't determine the engine oil level. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robb

About the only thing you can do is pull the side cover and clean the window inside and out. It's glass I think, so it will clean unless the PO has scratched the outside surface somehow, but you may need to use some carb cleaner on it...

If it's beyond repair, a different sidecover or window is the solution... and if you're worried about a gasket, the cover can be reinstalled using RTV sealer or Yamabond; no gasket required.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Try this first.
      Drain oil and leave drain plug off. Save the drain oil. Take a can of Carb Cleaner with the straw on the end of nozzle and point it in and down through the oil fill hole you can direct it toward the inside of the cover to the window to clean off any residue that has built up.
      Let it sit for a while for the carb cleaner to drain out. I then usually pour in some of the drain oil to flush out any left over cleaner. You will see immediate results if it works.
      XJ1100 Ruby Red
      XS1100LH "Midnight"
      1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

The clouding is usually emulsified oil and a deep-seated oil gunge that sticks to the window and the metal level plate. Youreally need to remove the casing and then use cotton buds and aerosol clutch cleaner to get it all off. Also, you need to get the buds/cleaner on the metal plate thing to get it as clean as possible. It is glass, by the way. Personally, I like the look of gaskets (there's usually a little line showing round the casing), so that's what I use on casings.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

FYI, if you do decide to pull that cover off, you shouldn't need to drain the oil. Just put the bike on its side stand, and unless your oil is over-full (too bad you can't check the level) you can pull the cover off without spilling. You could add a little safety margin, and put the wheels up on some pieces of 2x6 or something... just make sure you've got your side stand down on something solid and that the bike's not going to tip over while you're torquing on those bolts. A trick to pop the cover is to loosen the bolts, then squeeze the clutch lever or rotate the arm if you've already removed the cable. Cover should pop right off, and you won't mar it by trying to jam something in to pry if off....

If you've got any clutch slip, now would be a good time to change your springs, and clean/inspect/replace your plates.

Good luck!
          '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Hi Robb,
            All the above. And to state the obvious: Bike on centre stand or otherwise held upright to see the oil level.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
              FYI, if you do decide to pull that cover off, you shouldn't need to drain the oil. Just put the bike on its side stand, and unless your oil is over-full (too bad you can't check the level) you can pull the cover off without spilling. You could add a little safety margin, and put the wheels up on some pieces of 2x6 or something... just make sure you've got your side stand down on something solid and that the bike's not going to tip over while you're torquing on those bolts. A trick to pop the cover is to loosen the bolts, then squeeze the clutch lever or rotate the arm if you've already removed the cable. Cover should pop right off, and you won't mar it by trying to jam something in to pry if off....

If you've got any clutch slip, now would be a good time to change your springs, and clean/inspect/replace your plates.

Good luck!
              I second that, nice tip on getting the cover to pop off too, I will remember that next time I have to remove one. IMPO taking off the cover is the best way to clean it. I used some small pipette cleaners to get inside the window and scrubb it clean, didn't even take but a small blast of cleaner. Just an FYI, you can re-use the gasket on that cover. I've been in my clutch twice and haven't replaced the gasket either time and it does not leak. No need to buy a new one, just pat it dry/wipe off any oil that may be on it before you put it back together. Both times I removed it the gasket stayed with the cover...
              Last edited by WMarshy; 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

You can take that all apart if you want to. I have had trouble reading the sight glass several times. Low oil, high oil and clean oil will cause confusion. Had to resort to draining the oil and watching the glass during refill and the oil level can be seen rising into the glass. Try starting the bike and watching the glass when you shut it down. If no oil rises then most likely too low.Drain and refill with correct amount watching the glass.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

I know why they used an optic, it's because a dipstick would rub against the clutch. But it's still a dumb idea having to duck and squint to see the level in the optic.
                  It's a really dumb idea when you gotta read it with a mirror on a stick because the sidecar is in the way.
                  After carrying a mirror on a stick for some years, I made a dipstick to carry and use it when the engine is stopped.
                  I straightened a 4" hose clamp to get a stainless steel ribbon and bent it's outer end into a T-shape to rest against the oil filler hole. Drain & refill with the correct amount of oil. Drop the stick in. File a notch where the level is.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

sight glass

They do make new ones. I saw one last week at partsmore.
                    mack
                    79 XS 1100 SF Special
                    HERMES
                    original owner
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                    SPICA
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                    IOTA
                    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                    Frankford, Ont, Canada
                    613-398-6186

Comment

New sight glass

Mack is right, the sight glass is still available and is very easy to replace.
                      78 XS1100E Standard
                      Coca Cola Red
                      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        After carrying a mirror on a stick for some years, I made a dipstick to carry and use it when the engine is stopped.
                        I dont have the side car but I made a dipstick several years ago out of a long screwdriver. My knees suck and I got tired of getting down on them to check the oil. If you look into the filler hole at an angle toward the middle of the motor there is a little step with a small square hole in the casting right behind the clutch pack and the oil level in the sump is accessible right there when the bike is on the side stand. I took a screwdriver with a 9" long bit and rounded off the end and then filed marks in the tip corresponding to the high and low level marks by the sight window.

Now I just take the filler cap off and stick the screwdriver in then read the level. Works like a charm.
                        Mike Giroir
                        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          I know why they used an optic, it's because a dipstick would rub against the clutch. But it's still a dumb idea having to duck and squint to see the level in the optic.
                          It's a really dumb idea when you gotta read it with a mirror on a stick because the sidecar is in the way.
                          I straightened a 4" hose clamp to get a stainless steel ribbon and bent it's outer end into a T-shape to rest against the oil filler hole. Drain & refill with the correct amount of oil. Drop the stick in. File a notch where the level is.
                          Hi Fred,
                          and I just followed your idea and bought a Mirror on a Stick.
                          Which I find works very well for checking the oil level at a gas stop without having to put the bike on the centre stand.
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                          X