throttle cable to carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle cable to carb question

Just getting going with my 81 XS11LH . It starts fine with choke, runs O.K. with half choke and when I turn the throttle, nothing happens. The throttle won't turn at all, and when I look at the carbs, nothing moves when the throttle turns. Any ideas ? Carbs were completely rebuilt last year, taken down to the bare carb body and redone. Ran great last summer. All help appreciated. BN

Verify that the cable is hooked up at both ends, but if it's hooked up, it sounds like it may be broken. It could be one of the ends is broken off, or somewhere in the middle, or it's just not hooked up correctly, so check for all three things.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the cable is loose and moves easily. What is not happening is there is no movement at the carbs. If I twist as hard as I can, the throttle grip won't turn , the engine won't rev, nothing. I spent A TON last summer to have the carbs done, and to have trouble again this soon is frustrating. BN

Comment

I have a '79 Special so am not sure if the carb connection is the same.

Mine sits in a fixed fitting on the top of the carb (metal shoe at the bottom of cable cover rests in this fitting) and then the button connects to the fitting that rotates the butterflys. If you miss the top fitting the cable will behave exactly as you describe.

Aches n Pains
        1995 KZ100P
        Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
        Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Give us some pics with the tank off looking at where the cable connects to the carbs.

What Cy said is going to be the issue.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by B11 View Post
            Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the cable is loose and moves easily. What is not happening is there is no movement at the carbs. If I twist as hard as I can, the throttle grip won't turn , the engine won't rev, nothing. I spent A TON last summer to have the carbs done, and to have trouble again this soon is frustrating. BN
            Hi BN,
            it ran when you parked it last fall and you swear that you haven't messed with it since?
            If the grip twists all the way but the carbs don't move, the cable outer &/or the cable inner ain't hooked up to the carbs no more.
            SAVE a ton, buy a cafeteria tray to work on the carbs in to not lose the pieces and fix them yourself.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The throttle won't turn at all,If I twist as hard as I can, the throttle grip won't turn
              Sounds kind of like the throttle cable is froze up to me.
              Semper Fi!

81 XS11 Special SH

Comment

If the throttle won't turn at all (which is something you should have said at the beginning) either the cable is frozen, the throttle sleeve is jammed or something is jamming the far end of the throttle cable, I'd bet on the throttle cable. When was the last time you lubed your throttle cable? If they are not kept lubed and get wet inside, they can lock up really fast (just a few weeks of sitting with water in them can lock them up sometimes beyond fixing) and then you need a new cable. You need to lube the throttle cable at least once a year if not a couple times a year. They sell kits at most motorcycle shops for doing the lubing that include the lube and a device that clamps onto the end of the cable and lets you apply it, or you can go old school and just drip it down into there and work it back and forth, either way works, it just can be more work and take longer the old school way.
                Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Spade Fuse Box
                750 FD Mod
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by remi View Post
                  Sounds kind of like the throttle cable is froze up to me.
                  Hi Remi,
                  what B11 sez is:- "the cable is loose and moves easily. What is not happening is there is no movement at the carbs."
                  Seems from that, the cable is free but not hooked up to the carb operating arm.
                  Send us a photo, Dude.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Remi,
                    what B11 sez is:- "the cable is loose and moves easily. What is not happening is there is no movement at the carbs."
                    Seems from that, the cable is free but not hooked up to the carb operating arm.
                    Send us a photo, Dude.
                    He also says, "If I twist as hard as I can, the throttle grip won't turn". That is rather a bit confusing as those are two totally different symptoms.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      He also says, "If I twist as hard as I can, the throttle grip won't turn". That is rather a bit confusing as those are two totally different symptoms.
                      Yeah, what he said.
                      Semper Fi!

81 XS11 Special SH

Comment

When I disconnect the cable from the twist grip, it moves freely. Completely loose in the cover. When I hook the cable up to the twist grip and turn hard, it won't move at all. I can see the lower cable end trying to move, but no movement at the carbs. I'll try to get pics up today. BN

Comment

Originally posted by B11 View Post
                          When I disconnect the cable from the twist grip, it moves freely. Completely loose in the cover. When I hook the cable up to the twist grip and turn hard, it won't move at all. I can see the lower cable end trying to move, but no movement at the carbs. I'll try to get pics up today. BN
                          Can you move the carb throttles by hand? It sounds like they may be stuck/seized. If they are, you might be able to put some penetrating oil on each of the pivot point on each carb and carefully move them by hand till they start to move then move them back and forth till them move freely. This presupposes that you have made sure that nothing is blocking their movement. So, if it's not the twistgrip, and the cable is trying to move, it's gotta be the carbs that are jammed, you may have to pull them if you can't get them fixed in place.
                          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          750 FD Mod
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                          X