Dash / Indicator identifier Decals - Restoration Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash / Indicator identifier Decals - Restoration Method

Does anyone have a source or idea of good way to restore the Neutral / Oil / Headlight lettering that goes underneath the indicator light? Mine are all faded and worn from weather...

There was a post a while ago (month? two months?) from somebody who had found a source (or was maybe having them made) for a vinyl overlay or stickers to replace the lettering, but they weren't too impressed if I remember right. You might try a search. The original lettering was done by a 'hot press' printing method which will be impossible to duplicate unless you have access to that type of printing press.

Best bet would be a fine brush, a steady hand, and some patience... or a NOS housing; they do show up from time to time (big $$ usually).
    Last edited by crazy steve; 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You could possibly build a small screen print rig. It would be real easy and would turn out nice if you took your time lining everything up good. Just use a good tough UV resistant ink.
      1980 XS1100 SG Stock

Comment

I did mine using a small sable painting brush with only one bristle. I used white gloss paint and wore a pair of magnifying lenses. It fools most people and looks pretty good. Well... better than the faded ones.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I know there was a guy on eBay that was selling vinly decals to replace all the lettering on the controls and the dash. it was pretty cheap to get the set. havent looked for him recently on there but I do need some and was going to try it.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

A few years back i printed mine on transparency stock on a laser printer, then painted behind the lettering. It was damn good till i finally found an NOS pilot box..

Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
            X