Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss for words

had a time with my 81 special....20,000 miles when bought and month later
    new wiseco 1179 top end.....running lean then...6sigma jet kit stage one...
    had to replace starter...runs good runs bad....finally fig out if i raised the tank it would run...after several test rides and spitting and backfiring..i toook a real close look.....my gas lines i had the mechanic put in line filters in...were pinching at the peccocks.....cut them off took filters off(will replace ) and went for a test again rode 10 miles no hitches just for those that are pulling there hair out.....thanks for reading .....gump from NC
    windjammer gump
    bikes now own
    1981xs1100sh special
    1971 cb 350
    mini chopper project
    bikes use to own
    1978 750/four..
    1983kz1100 ltd

It is often the simple tings that cause the most problems. Glad you found it. Typically, if you shorten the line a little bit it may relieve the kinking.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I always wonder-where do you guys find someone at a dealer i presume that will touch theses bikes?I went to maybe 5 dealers who wont do anything but tires.Too much of a liability and they say parts are not easily available so they wont touch them.Because of this forum that is why i don't even think about taking it anywhere.There simply is not anyone out there.I only have 1 guy that will touch the bike as he has 2 himself and I've known him since 1986-the year i bought the bike.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
        I always wonder-where do you guys find someone at a dealer i presume that will touch theses bikes?I went to maybe 5 dealers who wont do anything but tires.Too much of a liability and they say parts are not easily available so they wont touch them.Because of this forum that is why i don't even think about taking it anywhere.There simply is not anyone out there.I only have 1 guy that will touch the bike as he has 2 himself and I've known him since 1986-the year i bought the bike.
        i have the same luck they will not touch a bike thst is 20 years or older... even though the mechanic looks like he is a ww2 vet.....
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
        1980 gs1000g "stock"
        1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
        2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

The guy i go to John has a shop and he is the only one who i trust but have not gone to him in about 15 years.I drove by his shop and he remembers my bike and tells me he hates working on some bikes but not the XS.But he is getting up there in age.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Gump,

Same thing happened to me when I removed octy, put in new hose and added a filter. Just put too much length in the line and she crimped.

Aches n Pains
            1995 KZ100P
            Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
            Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

mechanics here in NC

we have alot of old school mechanics in this area ,most convert over to work on the v (newer) motors with the computers and such and i think it is easier for them to get parts alot of the old school mechanics here stay covered up and own there own shops ...i try to do my own stuff instead of waiting months on repairs ...i have it close and at 50.00 an hr...i just need it tweeked...hopefully after break-in period and every thing seats i would have a dependable bike.....but gas mileage is terrible at this point and i need about 300 more miles to reach 500 on the topend work.....anyone else had a kit put in i would love to hear from your experience with it.....thanks gump
              windjammer gump
              bikes now own
              1981xs1100sh special
              1971 cb 350
              mini chopper project
              bikes use to own
              1978 750/four..
              1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Brake pads

I am a new owner of a '79 XS1100 and an '81 XS1100. I love these bikes. But I have not ridden one in over 20 years and I have never repaired one. I have just ordered new tires and would like to order brake pads for the '79 and, so, to my question: Where can I get the brake pads? Thanks, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by WJambois View Post
                  I am a new owner of a '79 XS1100 and an '81 XS1100. I love these bikes. But I have not ridden one in over 20 years and I have never repaired one. I have just ordered new tires and would like to order brake pads for the '79 and, so, to my question: Where can I get the brake pads? Thanks, Bill
                  Hi Bill and welcome,
                  most dealers won't stock them but can bring them in for you. Or look them up on the 'net.
                  You got Specials that need those perverted tapered pads so make sure the spottyfaced child at the parts counter looks up the correct number.
                  More precisely, numbers the tapered pads are handed right and left.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Big Bore Mileage

Hey Gump,

If you were looking for much better mileage than stock with the Wiseco big bore kit, I'm afraid you're going to be disappionted!

More displacement/cc's , more fuel! I get a tad over 30 Mpg, did the "little" big bore 1179 to my 81SH, have Indy Filters, 4-1 pipes, and just stock increased 117.5 jets from 110's. I do all of my own work, cleaning, synching, etc.! Others with the big bores have also reported no appreciable increase in mileage, but you should expect ~30mpg.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey Gump,
                      I'm with T.C. on this one. I have an '82 XJ1100, recently put in a Wiseco 1196 with the Dynojet #3 kit, increased mains to 120 with pods and stock 4-2 exhaust. Havent' really examined too closely the MPG yet, but would expect around the same 30 - 35 mpg. Bike has a lot of giddyup and only has approximately 300 + miles since work was completed.

Those Wiseco pistons are like jewelry right out of the box, almost hate to get 'em dirty. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X