Here I go again... CARBS......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I go again... CARBS......

OK guys, Here goes. I have searched this many times and I know that these carbs are heck to deal with. I am knew to wrenching my 81ms. I have had the carbs out 2 times. I have replaced all float valves, 2 pilot jets(screwed them up taking them out) cleaned all screens and adjusted the floats the best I could.All diaphrams are nice, The first time I put the carbs back in it would not run at all, Just popping. The second time it will run but very rough and spark plugs show uneven firing. This bike has 1,430 miles on it. The only thing I have not done is mess with the idle mixture screws, They are still capped. My Yamaha manual says they are factory adjusted and do not need setting. I am making progress but pulling these carbs again will be a PITA. If I pull them again Should I uncapp the idle screws? This bike sat up for a loooong time. Also the headlight would not come on but today when I cranked it it came on for a short period, tapped the fuse box and it came on again. I will buy the blade kit later when I get it to run right. Any suggestions on what I may have done wrong on the carbs?
    [B Bone stock 1981 SX1100LH 1,430 miles bringing back to life, slowly but surely.
    1973 RT3][/B]

Without pulling the idle mix screws (under the cap) there is still probably crap gummed up in the idle circuit. Pull the caps and screws, replace the o-rings and clean out the idle circuit completely.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The problem is that you need to uncap those idle screws and pull them out and clean in under them and almost sure you need to replace the little o-ring under them, and the idle mixture adjustment that was right 30 years ago isn't right now, gas formulation has changed, and it needs a little different mixture to run right, but those idle passages are probably clogged and it's easier to clear them with those screws out. You use a drill to CAREFULLY drill out those plugs, the screws are just under there.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

It sounds like you have a electric issue to solve as well. Maybe before you get them carbs out you can go threw the fuse panel and make sure connections are clean and solid. (also behind the panel) Also you will want to check your coils to make sure they are working properly.
        1980 XS1100G
        -4:2 exhaust
        -Pods
        -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Working...
        X